1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is DVDShrink Going So Slow?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by KaRaCKTeR, Dec 20, 2004.

1. KaRaCKTeR

KaRaCKTeR Guest

I just installed my new AOpen DVD 1648/AAP Drive hoping it would improve my time on analysing/encoding on DVD Shrink. I ran a nero CD/DVD speed test on it and these are my results:
    Transfer Rate
    Start 5.16x
    End 11.76x
    Average 8.89x
    Type P-CAV

With those results i assumed i would be able to encode in less amount of time, but it still takes me a little less than 3 hours to analyze/encode on my DVD Shrink. The speed gets to as high as 1,800 Kb/s.

Can anyone please let me know whats going on and/or how to improve it. My CPU is still pentium 3 500MHz, but with the Speed test being an average of 8.89x shouldnt it take me less time to analyze/encode. Any help will be great. Thanks

2. wild77

wild77 Guest

Your dvd drive has nothing to do with the analysis and encoding that is all dependent on you cpu.Besides you really don't want to burn movies at over 4x speed.

3. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

DVD Shrink analyze/encode is done by the CPU, it has nothing to do with you dvd drive. Your burn rate are pretty fast, but most here would recommend burning at 4X to avoid problems. It takes me 20 min to analyze/encode with deep analyze but I am using a P4 3.2 GHz.

4. KaRaCKTeR

KaRaCKTeR Guest

Thanks for responding. I'm not talking about burning... im talking about ripping from the dvd. So its all dependant on your CPU and not the DVD-Drive? so it doesnt matter if my DVD-Rom drive is 16X or 4x, my Analysis/Encoding time will still take that long with a 500MHz CPU?

5. Grampaw

Grampaw Regular member

KaRaCKTeR,

Answer to your last post is "yes" - it does take a while to use Shrink on a P3 500mhz platform. Your analyze/encode times are about the same (actually a little faster) as my P3 450 mhz, 768 megs RAM, Win98SE OS, platform. Of course I hardly ever use this computer for DVD copying, since it is like my 3rd backup for this type of computer application.

My main DVD copying platform is a P4 2.4ghz, 1GB RAM, Win XP Pro OS, platform which is much more the norm for this type of computer application.

6. pulsar

pulsar Active member

If your drive has nothing to do with encoding/reading, why does my dru510a take twice as long to read than my Pioneer 108s?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2004
  7. wild77

wild77 Guest

Most dvd burners read at a slower rate around 2x.My Plextor has a speed read option that let's it read at higher speed.DVD Rom's read even faster.The analysis/encoding has nothing to do with read speed.

8. KaRaCKTeR

KaRaCKTeR Guest

Thank you all very much for all the help and i have come to the conclusion that im in a desperate need to upgrade my computer.

I have come up with another problem and started a new thread. If you guys have the time, i'd love to hear your suggestions. Heres the link:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/138106

Thanks again

9. umgrad76

umgrad76 Member

Hi guys, this is my first post. I've done a good bit of reading on this site and I think I have an idea of a few things I would like to try, but being new at this, I wanted to gather you input.

I recently replaced a computer (P3 600Mhz) and I use DVDShrink and Nero to do the job. I always have done the Deep Analysis and on my old computer it took about 1hr 15min to analyze and about 2hr to encode and about 12minutes to burn on my Optorite drive (12 capable, burning at 8x). I recently purchased a Dell 3.8Ghz, 1GB DDR SDRAM, blah, blah, blah, same DVD-burner and it is taking about 1hr to deep analyze, 1hr to encode, and over 2 hrs to burn. When I played the last disc, it started to play, then the frame would freeze for about a second, then play again for another 3 seconds or so, then freeze...

I must not have something set correctly for the new system. I would think, considering the processor speed, that things should be going a lot quicker than they are. Any ideas as to what may be the problem?

Thanks for the help.

10. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

Something is wrong. Mine takes 30 min to deep analyze/encode, and 15 min to burn. I was using the defualt setting on analysis. Start with checking the device manager for your secondary IDE drive. See if DMA is on. As for the play back problems, we need to what media your are burning on and what is your writing speed.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2004
  11. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

PS, your are not using the PC for anything else while DVD Shrink is running?

12. umgrad76

umgrad76 Member

I was writing to Ritek Ridata 8x DVD-R at 8x.
    I've also written to Ridata 4x DVD-R at 8x with no problems (but on the old computer)

13. DennisLee

DennisLee Member

I have also encountered slowing down of analyzing and encoding, I checked the dma setting and it on, hasn't helped at all, does anyone have another solution?

14. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

Burn below the max of your media. Most here would recommend 4X.

15. umgrad76

umgrad76 Member

Can any experts help us out? I have plenty of drive space (over 100GB) and the system is new so there isn't a lot on there. I would expect that I would be able to analyze and encode faster and burn much faster.

16. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

17. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

Are you ruuning a lot of programs/services in the background?
    Defraged lately?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2004
  18. umgrad76

umgrad76 Member

Nothing of note running in the background. I usually step away from the computer while it's doing DVD work. I also turned off McAfee anti-virus.

Anything I should so with the IDE devices?

19. DennisLee

DennisLee Member

I read about the IDE being set to DMA on the burner device, I unistalled mine and reinstalled it, it reset to Ultra DMA. This may help you and may not but mine is still running slow also

20. umgrad76

umgrad76 Member

I also tried uninstalling both optical drives. This is getting frustrating.

This is my set-up. I have a SATA hard drive so my optical drives' ribbon is going to the primary IDE port. Both drives are set up as cable select (CS). When I go to Properties - Advanced Setting for the drives, the DVD-Rom is set up for Ultra DMA Mode 2 (DMA if available). The other is also set up "DMA if available" but it goes to PIO as the transfer mode.

I don't know why it continues to default to this. ALso, I read on one of this forum's thread that the highest level of DMA is Ultra DMA Mode 4. Why has my DVD-ROM defaulted at mode 2?

I'm sorry for my ignorance, but I am new at this and I am learning as I go. One more piece of info. The DVD burner is a new drive that is a transfer from an old computer. The DVD-ROM was packaged with the computer when prurchased a couple of weeks ago.