1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is it so difficult to copy xbox and PS2 games?

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by Trinni, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Trinni

Trinni Member

I don't know why it is so difficult to burn Xbox and Ps2 games and just make them play without doing any mods on the consoles. I mean what are the files that are not beign copied from the original DVD Rom(game) from the burned DVD. There has to be something. Are these games double layered or something?

2. wakutan

wakutan Member

Yea good question.

If the backup games are the exact same clones of the original, then the (unmodded)ps2 shouldn't have problems with it.

I need to know what the difference is between Dreamcast ( wich has no protection for burned games ) and Ps2/Xbox.

3. dud0r

dud0r Member

Ps2 dvd/cds have so called "bad sectors" these sector's can't be burned since there's no burning software that can burn bad sectors.
    Xbox i don't know

4. Trinni

Trinni Member

So, can these "bad sectors" be copied to a hard drive and then copied to a DVD R?

5. neophile

neophile Member

Na....these "bad" sectors are only accesible thru the original pressed ps2 disc. There's no way to patch a backup with the "bad" sectors b/c the "bad" sectors are located near the ps2 disc's center hole (on the data side of disc)and dvd-r or +r drives can't physically read that sector. Look at a pressed PS2 game and you'll find some weird bar code near the center hole. This is what the ps2 laser reads to authenticate the disc as an original. The ingenious swap magic people got around this by cutting out that center piece and using it to "press" a new disc with about 4.35 gb of data on it. This is how the swap magic discs are used to "trick" the ps2 into thinking that you have inserted a ps2 formated disc. Then you just do the usu. and swap the discs to play your backup.

I've heard that x-box games are burned on DL discs eventhough the game's data is capable of being pressed on dvd-5 disc. I guess this MS's way of fighting off piracy. Although, it hasn't been successful since people can get around it by rebuilding the game image and placing it on a dvd-5.

6. Trinni

Trinni Member

So, do you think there is anyway you can copy whatever data is on the swap magic disk and add it to the copy so that it would work? Let me know....

7. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

you could buy yourself a dvd press then you can create backups that will self boot, but they are out of the price range of most people

8. Trinni

Trinni Member

What is a DVD press? Are these some kind of new blank DVD media that you can write to? Or what is it?

9. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

a dvd press is what the companies use. it presses the data onto the disc, it doesn't burn them. i don't know how much one would cost, but i know its more than any of us could afford.

10. gamelover

gamelover Member

a DVD Press is a machine used normally by factories and huge companies to make their DVD's you would be talking about thousands of pounds/dollars to buy one.

SwapMagic cannot be copied at all and it has been tried by many but simply doesn't work.

The original PS2 discs are encoded with a recognisable code that the PS2 checks for each time it loads a new disc and in some cases every time the disc is accessed (eg: Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow). The same when the reset button is pressed or the disc tray ejected using the eject button.

This code is not present on the disc when you copy it onto a blank DVD so you need swap magic to trick your machine into thinking the copy is real and the flip lid or slide card to prevent you having to open the disc tray to swap the discs.

A chip basically does the same thing without the need for swap discs or a flip lid as the chip disables the code-re-check.

I don't know about X-box or Dreamcast though.

A lot of PS2 games are becoming the dual layer variety now and in future I think there are going to be a lot more. As said earlier in the thread, most can be re-built and burned on a DVD5.

There will soon be a new PS2 and it looks like it will be about half the size of the original shape and will have a flip lid according to the pictures I seen. It is on the forums here somewhere. Only problem is what technology is inside to prevent use of swapmagic or DVD- or + r/w? If there is no protection built in then it will make things easier as no flip lid or modifying would be necessary and the price should be reasonable within no time.

11. VCDHelp!

VCDHelp! Member

Dreamcast, with a few exceptions, can play backups without a modchip (though the copying process is convoluted...), but XBox still needs a MC or other trick to recognize them.

Jake

12. phil31169

phil31169 Regular member

That DVD reads from outer to inner disc IIRC, rather than normal DVD ROM : inner to outer side. (except a small portion in the center your pc dvd can read to tell you to put the disk in an xbox)

It is not possibly to read the data of a retail xbox game disc with xiso unless the drive supports the discs. And you will never be able to read "any" type of discs in xbox dvd format with windows explorer.
    XBOX games use a proprietary file system called XDVDFS or XISO that your operating system does not understand.They are also encrypted and need a hash formula that is stored in the Xbox to be read correctly (compliments of google and 1/2 hour of time, i was curious.)