1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is my LiteOn 166S ripping slower then the Sony?

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by schugh, Jul 29, 2003.

1. schugh

schugh Member

I am looking to replace my pioneer 106S as I have problems with it reading DVD+RW, and I can't find a firmware to fix it. I tried the Sony and then the LiteOn. The pioneer averages 9x for ripping, the sony 7x and the liteon only 6x. After hearing such good things about the liteon, I was disappointed.
    The one I received was the 166S. Is this slower then the 163D, which is the one reviewed in a couple of places? I am running windows xp professional and DMA is enabled.
    And help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

What does disabling your DMA do?

3. schugh

schugh Member

I ran some more thorough tests last night and learned quite a lot.
    One, single layer dvd and dual layer dvd does make a significant impact on the benchmark performance of a drive. Also, benchmarking does not tell the entire story.

I ran nero dvd speed on the LiteOn and the Sony. On a dual layer DVD, the Sony came out ahead with an avg of 7.17x vs 5.92x. This was performed on the dual layer Matrix dvd.
    Then, I ran the same test using the dvd of the movie "The Party", which is a single layer dvd. The results were very close. The Sony averaged 11.89x and the LiteOn 11.98x.

Then, came the interesting part, as I used dvd decryptor to see how long it would take to process the two dvds.
    For the single layer dvd "The Party", again the results were close:
    The Sony took a time of 5:02 with an average speed of 10.7 and a max of 14.4. The LiteOn took a time of 5:07 with an avg. of 10.5x and a max of 14.1x

Now, going by the Nero results, I would have expected the Sony to come out ahead using dvd decryptor on the Matrix dual layer dvd.
    However, the results were very suprising and I still don't know why it is the case. The Sony took a time of 22:09 with an avg of 4.3x and a max of 6.1x whereas the LiteOn took a time of 16:39 averaging 5.7x with a maximum of 8.0x. The LiteOn was in agreement with the Nero results, however the Sony was in total disagreement with Nero. I tried the Sony a couple of times more usind dvd decryptor and got the same results. I am unable to explain it.

Regardless, it appears I will be keeping the LiteOn and returning the Sony.

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Good tests you did.