1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is my MPEG1 Video using MP2 instead of MP3?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by CCEncoder, Aug 24, 2004.

1. CCEncoder

CCEncoder Regular member

I know mp3 is more compressed so why waste space with mp2 for a mpg1 video? as you can see in the following picture:

ftp://vid:vid@pushpins.no-ip.com/mp2.jpg

2. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

because that file is a standard compliant mpeg1 video stream(ready for vcd authoring), compressed audio formats can only be used in compressed video formats like divx or xvid and if you want to convert a divx/xvid file to vcd/svcd/dvd you'd still have to convert the audio from mp3/ac3 ect ect to mp2

3. shiroh

shiroh Guest

mpeg1 layerII is a compressed files. so does ac3, mp3 and others.
    i haven't read the details, but mp3 is a slightly better audio compressor than mp2.
    dvd will play ac3, so you don't need to convert. or if the source is not an ac3, then use besweet to encode.

4. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

of course mp2 is compressed, but what im saying is that its the standard compression used in mpeg1/mpeg2(svcd) video/audio streams unlike mp3/ac3 which is not. i shouldnt have excluded dvd when trying to explain because yes ac3 can be used as the audio source when authoring dvds, but i was trying to make the point that mp2 is used on dvds as well(with a different bitrate of course).

seems i shoulda made myself a bit more clear about it ;).

cheerz

5. shiroh

shiroh Guest

i'm just filling the blanks that you forgot :)

6. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

ahhh ok no worries mr. prefectionist =P