1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why is my ps2 so choosey when it comes to dvdrs?

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by xtacb, Nov 15, 2004.

1. xtacb

xtacb Member

i just installed a no solder modchip in my v4 and was estatic after getting tenchu kurenai (j) and thought i could play it after i finished my essay for english

when i used the swap magic and then swapped to my game, the swap magic showed red and didn't work!

i did the knife/cog with swap magic and that didn't work either so then i tried burning another dvd-r (the original one i tried at first was a Sony dvd-r 4x) (verbatim [just regular kind, not datalife or datalife plus] 8x dvd-r) using dvd decrypter at 1x speed which did not work also...

so assuming its a media problem i went and bought some more kinds: fujifilm 8x dvd-r, sony 4x dvd+r, tdk 4x dvd+r, verbatim datalife dvd-r 4x
    and all these i got a red from swapmagic! i was almost certain the verbatim datalife dvd-r 4x would work because i heard good things about them but it didnt work either!! (although it seemed to take a few more seconds before swapmagic showed the red)

o yea i cleaned my ps2 lens with those dvd/ps2 cleaning cds and also my burner is a bti brand dvd+-r 16x (i got at Fry's electronics on sale for $80) but burner shouldnt matter right?
    also i tried other isos of games besides tenchu kurenai, narutimate 2, gt4 prologue, stella deus but they all get a red from swap magic

i just ordered some ritek ridata 4x G04 online which i really hope will work but it will take a while to ship to me, tommorow i will go return the dvd-rs that don't work and try some other brands like memorex (my friend bought memorex dvd-r 4x and it worked for his ps2 and it was his one and only time buying dvdrs!!)

are ps2 supposed to be so choosying? my ps2 is like saving itself for that one special person in its life or something...

are ps2 supposed to be so choosey when it comes to dvd-rs? or could there be something else causing swap magic to get the red?

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

yeah, since you have a v4, it can be very choosey. Don't use 8x media and don't use +r media. Do you have the originals of these games or did you download them (that could also be the problem)?

3. Xman2004

Xman2004 Regular member

r u making the games urself or buying them? If you're making them, make sure u burn @ lowest speed and if ur buying them...stop. Stores that sell pirated games always burn @ max, their games hardly work (happened 2 me)

4. fiapop

fiapop Member

i had similar problem dude.

burned with newegg dvd-r... nothing... verbatim dvd-r ... nothin (red border)

and.... why do u say that 8x media are no good? it shouldnt matter since we're burning at 2x.

also... i think it is th emodchip tha is broke. i just ordered a flip top today... because im tired of this crap with the no solder mod.

5. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

even if you burn at slow speeds, a lot of people still have trouble with 8x media.

6. xtacb

xtacb Member

i burn using dvd decrypter at 1x, and im pretty sure my no solder works, it opens with the orange light when i hold down the eject, then i swap, i did knife/cog swap method as well just to make sure the dvd-r are not working

guess ill just keep trying!! when i finally find that oh so elusive one of a kind girl for my ps2, im going have lots of games finished downloading, ready to play!!!

7. xtacb

xtacb Member

ok what is going on!! i have also now tried apple 4x dvd-r, memorex 4x dvd-r, and also just today i got my ridata ritek 4x dvd-G04 that i waited so long for

the ritek G04 didnt work either!!!!! i got a red border with swap magic! what is going on here? there has to be something wrong if all these dvd-rs dont work and the ritek G04 which is supposedly the best didnt work also...

some help plz! i was relaly looking forward to today when i get my riteks in the mail but they didnt work! whats going here and what should i do?

8. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

9. dragulaAC

dragulaAC Active member

on my v4 w/ SwapMagic, i use HP 4x dvd+r's and they work perfectly.

10. xtacb

xtacb Member

WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! YEAAAAAAAAA!!!!! thx ritek !!!! The ritek G04 do work!!!!!!
    when i got my riteks yesterday i burned narutimate hero 2 then tried it out and was crestfallen when it got a red border, turns out i tried that time with the no solder modchip which doesnt work and didnt try one more time again using the knife trick....
    after it didnt work that 1st time, i went out for few hours then when i came back i burned gt4 prologue and then did knife trick to play it, i wasnt expecting much because naruto didnt work so i switched to tv and was watching some tv for a minute or so, then when i change back, low and behold polyphonic creds and then the gt4 menu!!!!

i didnt understand why gt4 pal would work but not my jp imports so then i went to unrar rumble roses (usa) and going try burning and playing that... while waiting for it to unrar i might as well play some gt4, but since it was flickering like crazy cause its pal, i decided to try naruto again since theres no reason pal should work but not my jp imports-- low and behold doing the exact same way with gt4 with the knife trick i saw the blue border --- then black screen --- then BANDAI logo!!!!!!! i was estactic when the naruto intro and theme song played and was going WOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!! and dancing like crazy for the whole theme song

i then tried gt4 with no solder way and guess what, it didnt work! so my no solder modchip doesnt work and all the dvd-r before also didnt work...

but now G04 comes along...WOOOHOOO!! i shouldnt have doubted ritek G04 their GREAT!!!! finally i found the one type of dvd-r my ps2 likes, finally found its one true soulmate!!!!!!