1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Is Old SSID Still Broadcasting?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by RoBRuLeZ, Jan 22, 2009.

1. RoBRuLeZ

RoBRuLeZ Member

This isn't a problem, rather a nuisance. My router was acting up about a week ago, so I reset it but someone nearby had the same SSID, 'linksys', so I changed it. Later I changed it again for some reason but both the new and old SSID are broadcasting. So I tried to forget about it, hoping it would stop on it's own, but it seems to be here to stay. I have reset my router several times but to no avail, it still shows. The strange thing is, I can still connect to it, but with no online access. I've done searching and can't find any fixes as this must be a rare problem. If anyone has had this problem or think you know how to fix it, please let me know. If it matters, the router is a Linksys WRT54G, and I am not very happy with it.

2. silk42

silk42 Regular member

3. warriorp

warriorp Member

dude just uninstall your wireless card and reinstall it. i had the same problem.

4. RoBRuLeZ

RoBRuLeZ Member

I don't believe it's my card, because I have since formatted my computer and ran several operating systems all of which had shown the old SSID in the list of available networks which leads me to believe the problem lies within the router. The firmware I am using is the hacked linksys firmware as described here. I have also reset my router several times to no avail. I will try re-flashing the original firmware.

Edit: After flashing back to original firmware, strangely enough the SSID is still being broadcast and now the router doesn't seem to be working. I urge all who read this to stay away from Linksys routers.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  5. RoBRuLeZ

RoBRuLeZ Member

This is unreal. After having re-installed both my LAN and wireless cards the SSID still does not fail to broadcast. I have never seen anything like this. The router is even unplugged. I am connected directly to my modem as of now. Yet this nuisance of a network somehow manages to continue broadcasting. If anyone has a clue what the meaning of this is please step forward.

Edit: I just wanted to add that I have factored the problem down to my computer. I know that my Xbox which also has wireless connectivity, does not pick up the old SSID, and the fact that it still broadcasts when both the router and modem are unplugged proves that the problem lies within my computer, which is very strange because as I've said, I have re-formatted several times since this problem arose.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Fantastic router you have there, and the best way to make it into a 100% stable router (with many extra features too) is to flash 3rd party firmware onto it, namely DD-WRT

7. RoBRuLeZ

RoBRuLeZ Member

As I've already said, I've done that, with that same firmware actually. However, I am not happy with the router as I've been having too many problems with it, mainly the subject of this thread.

8. creaky

Sure, i'm just stating that's the best firmware for a Linksys.

It's obviously not your router broadcasting if it's switched off :p

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

creaky is correct in that if your router is powered off but you are still picking up a signal even after fresh installs of windows then you are picking up somebody elses router.

10. dailun

dailun Active member

@TC

You may have reset your router several times, but did you go through reconfiguration each time?

Several major faux pas on your part:

1)Leaving the SSID at default.

2)If you can connect to the router but not beyond that, you problem Is with the broadband connection. Resetting the modem won't do squat.

Sounds like most of your problems are misconfiguration, and that's not the router's fault.

11. RoBRuLeZ

RoBRuLeZ Member

Yes, you are correct and I'm aware of that. However, it's very strange as both my roomate's laptop and mine can pick up the signal. It must be a saved setting of some sort, although I have gone through and removed all saved networks from my saved network profiles.

This is untrue. I know it is my old network because it is the same SSID and the same password, and when connected it is a local only connection and one cannot access the internet. So there is strong evidence of this network being my old one
    I did indeed go through configuration each time, one reason being that the default network SSID is 'linksys', which someone in the vicinity already uses, so I am unable to access my network. The problem is not with the modem as I am able to access the internet when I connect directly to the modem.

12. creaky

I haven't personally been affected by 'ghost' processes/settings on routers but i have read of instances with flashed DD-WRT firmware where some old settings are not fully removed. Apparently it's cured by properly flashing DD-WRT ie this is recommended often over on the DD-WRT forums (though i haven't personally had the need to flash in this way) -

However as one or two of us have already stated, it's obviously impossible to connect to a router that is powered off; cached settings aside, i know of no hardware from the spirit world :)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  13. SDDave

SDDave Member

I have exactly the same problem/nuisance!
    I changed security settings and created a new network (new SSID).
    Now I cannot get rid of the original network SSID.
    Both my Windows XP laptop and Mac laptop pick up the old network.
    I've tried to disable the original network in Wireless settings. No luck.
    I plan to replace the Linksys WRT54GS (Ver. 1) firmware with DD-WRT and I hope that will take care of it.
    But meanwhile, it is very annoying.