1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is +R media so much more epxensive than -R

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by brh996, Aug 1, 2003.

1. brh996

brh996 Member

And what is the real difference between the two?

2. jay33

jay33 Regular member

I'm not sure where you shop, but every store I go to sells them for the same price. Actually, I've found much better deals on +r format that -r.

3. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

The price difference is getting less and less, but I know what you are asking. The reason is mostly due to volume. The -R format is the one that is recognized by the DVD Forum (the people who decide what is and isn't a DVD.) It is also useable in more types of burners than +R. The most notable is stand alone DVD recorders. (sort of like a VCR, but uses discs rather than tapes.)

As more people use -R, the price goes down. A good example of this is the cost of video tapes. I can buy VHS tapes for about $1 each, but Beta tapes cost about $10 each still. This is because for every 1000 VHS tapes sold there's probably only 1 Beta tape sold.

Now many people say that +R is superior, and I've seen secifications to back this up. Myself, I know neither of my stand alone players will play +R. To me this makes the -R format superior.

4. brh996

brh996 Member

I haven't seen that at all. Are you in the US or europe? I've seen the +R drives that write at 4x are cheaper but not the media.

What's the difference between the two?

5. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member