1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is the Nero interface so useless? Just a rant!!

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by antcasa01, Feb 20, 2007.

1. antcasa01

antcasa01 Member

In an idle moment (waiting for Nero!) I put "why I hate Nero" into Google - and it seems I'm not the only one!! Just my two'penneth worth, but it helps to get it off my chest.

Now, I've nothing against Nero, when I can get to it. Yes, loads of small files need making into an image before burning, stuff like that, but one soon gets to know the wrinkles....no, the only problem I have with Nero (and it drives me crazy) is getting in and out of it.

Out is by far the worse. I've given up pressing 'Cancel' during a burn. It is actually quicker to (I know this is not 'proper' computer technique, but get this...) Ctrl+Alt+Del to bring up the process screen, find Nero under 'Running Applications' and end it manually. So now I've got rid of Nero, but my drive is locked (thank you Nero!). A straightened out paper clip through the hole ejects the disk, and then reboot to get the machine stable again. AND THIS IS FASTER THAN TELLING NERO TO CANCEL!!!!!! (I've timed it).

If I have a disk playing in my consumer DVD player or CD player and I hit the eject button it takes less than a second for the disk to be in my hand. That's what I want Nero to do. Just stop whatever you are doing and eject the disk. I've told you to cancel so I don't want the disk. Just flush the cache, lift the head up and eject the disk....you should be able to do it in a second or two - and yes, I know my disk 'may not be playable'. I DON'T WANT IT TO PLAY, I'VE JUST CANCELLED IT!!!!!!!! Idiot program.

And why is it that at the end of every burn, Nero offers me a choice of 'burning this project again' and 'cover designer' (s'cuse me, I've got a very good DTP program for making covers...please, Nero, please, concentrate on what I bought you for....burning CD's and DVD's and cut the c**p!)? Doesn't it occur to the Nero people that the most likely thing one wants to do is 'burn ANOTHER project'....as in I'm backing up my hard drive and so I've arranged everything nicely into 'backupdisk01', 'backupdisk02', 'backupdisk03' etc. and after burning one I just might want to move onto the next in the series to burn it. Instead I have to close down the program (why is Nero the only program I have to close down twice? When I close it down it's not more than a second or two before the 'smart start' pops up again. Uh, HALLO....I've just closed you down....that means that I don't want to use you any more or I would have chosen to do something else, not that you give me any choices!!) and then re-open it to choose what sort of disk I am using (HALLO....the same sort of disk as before, maybe?), then what sort of disk I want to burn (as above...are you listening Nero?) then finally I end up at a screen where I can drag my files into. Duh...that's the screen I want to start with...it's like Word interrogating me if I want to write a letter, or a novel, or...... No, Word (and 99.9% of other programs) open with a blank sheet...just like Nero could do.

Oh please, please I would give anything for just a standard windoze interface with a 'file' menu which lets me choose what I want to do, a 'disk type' menu to choose what disk I've got/want to burn (CD, DVD data, DVD Video etc) so I don't have to go through this ridiculous opening and shutting down all the time. Having burnt one set of files I should just be able to delete them all from the input window, drag in another load and burn again, not go through the twenty (slight exaggeration) step process that Nero puts me through.

There are many more moans about the ridiculous user interface but Nero just seems to be going backwards - Adaptec used to have a terrific GUI on one of their burning applications, EVERYTHING could be done from one window, with just a 'burn now' button, rather than endless 'next' buttons....alright, that was in the days when there was only CD, but even with DVD it should be possible to do everything from two windows.

Thanks for the opportunity to rant, I feel better now (but tell me, do you guys actually think that the Nero GUI is any good? Why? And have you found out how to get it to cancel a burn in anything under 5 minutes.......?)

Incidentally, why do I still use Nero despite the hassles with it making my hair grey? Well, when I eventually get to the screen which allows me to burn anything it generally performs well, even on the poor quality media available in Africa....I just wish I could spend more time burning DVD's (which is what the program is for) than looking at pretty coloured screens which DON'T LET ME DO WHAT I WANT TO DO!!!!

Usual Nero trash...while writing this I told it to format a DVD-RW and something called 'InCD' has appeared and Nero seems to have completely disappeared......what is this, can't Nero be bothered? Neither Nero nor 'InCD' (whatever that is) is even appearing in the 'Running applications' window, though my drive is flashing and I've a Window very definitely labelled 'InCD', formatting D:.

You know, the DOS command line was easier than this......

2. 8chaos

8chaos Regular member

lol, I hate everything else BUT Nero!

That is one of my pet peeves though. When I push eject, I want it to eject just like the old school drives. I don't care what it is doing, give me my disc. It seems now I have to wait 4-5 sec. Plus on my laptop I have to hold down the eject button, if I press it once nothing happens. Its more of a safety feature tho...

3. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

All I can say is

If you dont like it DONT USE it

4. antcasa01

antcasa01 Member

gwendolin said: "If you dont like it DONT USE it"

Point taken. When DVD/CD used only to be SCSI, then I used Adaptec (it just used to come with the burners) but when they moved to IDE then Nero was 'always there' and a fine program is was for burning optical media (then, we're talking many years back). And the burning part is still good - as said, it can cope with the rubbish media that trickles down here to North Africa when other burning programs give up.
    But over the years more and more 'extras' have been added (which I can understand from a commercial viewpoint, there is no doubt that a major use for Nero now is to burn 'copied' DVD's and why let all the competition run away with the customers for ripping, re-compressing, re-authoring etc), but in my view all these extras have seriously got in the way of what is, at base, a good, fast and efficient program.
    I am lucky enough to have no need of the 'extras' (I am a DVD professional and author original disks on professional equipment, I am aware that few others have this opportunity and salute - very unofficially!! - their skills with the programs available, now including all the Nero 'extras'), for me they - the 'extras' - just slow me down navigating past them when all I want to do is burn disks (and not coasters, as many other programs do).
    Someone else on a thread suggested that just the Nero burning tool (the original - and best!) should be available separately, that would more than satisfy me, but this computer had the lot (including the ghastly 'smart start') pre-installed, so I had no choice in the matter.
    Finally, I felt much better (and more sympathetic towards Nero) after my rant (clearly labelled as no more than that)...so it had the desired effect. Thanks for your reply, it is noted ;-))

5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Just my 2 cents,
    You can do a custom install and leave this option out.

I don't know why this would be most likely. I normally just burn once and am done. I would like Nero to ask me though.

You don't have to use StartSmart. Go to your Programs, find the Nero application and use the "Send to" command to create a desktop Icon for the app. Click on that to open. I have one for Vision, Burning ROM and Recode.

As far as InCD goes, you should elect not to install it if you are not going to use it. It is not included in the Nero download unless you select to download it.

All that being said I agree with you for the most part. I've just gotten used to its idiosyncrasies. I still like it so I use it all the time