1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is there a difference between DVD-R and DVD+R

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by naleca, Apr 9, 2004.

1. naleca

naleca Member

Can someone please tell me why some machines will only play - and others only play +. What are the big companies using that allow them to play on any machine.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I'm assuming you're talking about standalone players here, so.....

It wasn't a "planned" thing, it just works out that way depending on the hardware each manufacturer uses.

I'm guessing you're referring to factory DVDs to which the answer would be that factory discs are "pressed" from a master and not burned at all. This is the standard that all players are made to read which is why some players don't like playing writable media - it confuses them.

If you were referring to DVD burners then the answer is that when the DVDR standards were first being ironed out there were two camps who couldn't agree on a single format so they each went with their format which is why we have both +R and -R.

Hope this helped :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2004
  3. pa104inf

pa104inf Regular member

The way I understand it is first came DVD-ROM, followed by DVD-R, DVD+R and then DVD-/+RW. About 95% of the players will play DVD-R and about 65% will play DVD+R. I am talking about standalone players.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2004