1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why poor results with shrink and/or decrypter?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by steff3, Apr 15, 2004.

1. steff3

steff3 Member

Okay........ordered and received (in 2 days!) the 107D. I love it. $112.00 delivered. Thank you to all for your input.

Flashed with hack v1.10....just used shrink 3.1.6 with Nero 6 to burn @ 6x lowered as to not burn @ 8x :) Only took a total of 14.5 minutes from start to finish. I ordered and am now using Ritek Ridata branded G04-R 4x. Problem is the end product on disk freezes, is jerky and completely stops in several spots. Same results on my PC or stand alone DVD player. I thought it was the Memorex 4x +r media I was using as I had the same problem on three of their disk waiting for the Ritek to arrive. Now Ritek doing the same. I also have xcopy plat. :( and have perfect results when I use on this same movie back up. I prefer shrink and/or decrypter because I have more control over the output but can't seem to get it right. I re-author and quality still poor.
    Am I doing something wrong?

I have XP Home, 1.7g, P4, 1g memory, 2 hard drives - 120 GB & 200 GB

Any help you guys can give is greatly appreciated. I originally posted this under another thread but thought a bit more appropriate here :)

btw...was backing up Mona Lisa Smile (last movie wife bought), movie only with no compression as it was well under 4g. :)

2. RWG

RWG Regular member

I re-authored Mona Lisa Smile to movie only and everything turned out fine. Slow your burn speed down to 2x-2.4x and see if it'll burn ok. A faster burner is not a fix-all. Use some DVD+/-RW discs if you have them, if not buy a couple. They're great for troubleshooting.

One thing I do with Shrink is to lower the default size it auto-analyzes and compresses to. Mine is set to 4610Mb (if I remember correctly). This keeps the burner from pushing the limits of writing data to the extreme outter edges of the DVD.

And ... after you burn a copy close Shrink and reopen it to see if it will read your copy. If it reads it it's good - if you get stopped by CRC Errors itsa coaster.

luck-

3. steff3

steff3 Member

Hiya RWG,
    Thanks for the input however if I can get a better end result from XCopy :( with the same burn speed settings I use with shrink then I suppose I will continue with what works. I notched down the speed to 6x from 8x already.I thought perhaps there was something I was missing. No worries though. :)

4. pieman

pieman Regular member

chuck nero in the bin.thats your problem,ive switched to clone and no problems.Burns 8x with the patched firmware

5. ellizit

ellizit Guest

nero works well for me...but anyway....I see the media you are using is rated for 4x burns. Burning at 6x with this media might create some problems.

You might want to try this also: decrese the disc size for shrink to use (Edit > Preferences > change to 4400 mb (Custom)). This will keep nero form burning to the very end of the dvd-r, which sometimes leads to skipping and freezing near the end of movies.

Hope that helps out some. Good Luck!

6. Spider323

Spider323 Regular member

Hi,
    There probably won't be any problems if you burn at 2x or 2.4x speeds. As you increase the speed you get more chances of coasters and burn errors.

7. steff3

steff3 Member

Thanks to all for your input. I have come to the conclusion that there are differant flavors and we all have our favorites ;)
    I'll ontinue to expirement and stick to what works for me and my system.