1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why the Coaster?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by djlen, Feb 16, 2005.

1. djlen

djlen Regular member

I wrote a movie last night on the combo of DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter. On a Re-Writable disc. It burned fine. Today I tried to write it again using the same process on a regular Disc and my DVD player doesn't recognize it.
    Here's the Decrytper Log, claiming that the burn went fine:
    I 16:55:02 DVD Decrypter Version 3.5.2.0 started!
    I 16:55:02 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)
    I 16:55:02 Initialising SPTI...
    I 16:55:02 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...
    I 16:55:03 Found 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD±RW!
    I 16:55:03 Operation Started!
    I 16:55:03 Source File: C:\DVD WORK\ET.ISO
    I 16:55:03 Source File Sectors: 2,227,481 (MODE1/2048)
    I 16:55:03 Source File Size: 4,561,881,088 bytes
    I 16:55:03 Destination Device: [1:0:0] PLEXTOR DVDR PX-716A 1.03 (D:) (ATA)
    I 16:55:03 Destination Media Type: DVD-R (Disc ID: SONY04D1) (Speeds: 4x)
    I 16:55:03 Destination Media Sectors: 2,297,888
    I 16:55:03 Write Mode: DVD
    I 16:55:03 Write Speed: 4x
    I 16:55:03 Test Mode: No
    I 16:55:03 BURN-Proof: Enabled
    I 16:55:03 Filling Buffer...
    I 16:55:04 Writing LeadIn...
    I 16:55:52 Writing Image...
    I 17:09:39 Synchronising Cache...
    I 17:10:16 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:15:13
    I 17:10:16 Average Write Rate: 5,386 KB/s (3.9x) - Maximum Write Rate: 5,853 KB/s (4.2x)

I'm sending this because I don't know what else to send. There was no error message.....just a bad disc.
    Help please.

Len

2. djlen

djlen Regular member

Two other things I didn't include above.
    The movie that can't be read on my DVD Player runs fine on my computer's Windows Media Player.
    I used Scuba Pete's directions, which are clear and concise and I thought I followed them to the letter for both burns.
    Again the RW burned and is playable and the R is not.

Len

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

It's probably your media. Sony 04d1

I ran into 2 different batches of sony -4x with that code. The first ones were made in taiwan in the 25 pack spindle. The second batch were given to me and were the same sony -4x in the 5 pack,multicolor discs. These,however were made in austria.I have 3 of those colored sony's left and afraid to burn them.The first 2 I burned very slow.

The sony +1-8x's are working great. I can even burn them at 16x if I don't watch my burn settings carefull. I ran into 2 batches,made in taiwan and made in japan. The japanese sony +1-8x were made by ty.

So now,I stay away from sony -4x.

If you continue to use the rest of the spindle,slow down your burn speed. That poorer media has to be burned slower. Certain standalone players have a harder time playing poor media,which sounds like you are having.This "no disc inserted" error you are recieving may be fixed with the slow burn speed or a switch to some good media.That player may also not like the dash format,you can try a small pack of good + discs.

You said the rw's burned and played,but not your r's. Usually those stand alones have a harder time reading those rw's.A new media should fix that problem.The high quality media may also allow you to bump up that burn speed when you figure out which media that player likes.

4. djlen

djlen Regular member

The re-writable is a FujiFilm disc and it says on the face,"up to 2x".
    I burned it at 4x and it burned fine.
    The Sony says "DVD-R ver. 2.0/1x-4x" on it.
    I'm just trying to understand. I would have thought that Sony would be a decent quality.

Len

Last edited: Feb 16, 2005
  5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Its definatley your media. Not to say the media is bad it is just not compatable with your player. If you really want a brand that will play on just about anything you need to get some Taiyo Yuden disk's. If your RW was Fuji though you might have better luck trying the Fuji R's. Check the manufacturer's websit and see which brand they recommend.

6. djlen

djlen Regular member

Alright, another coaster. I just opened Encrypter and tried at 2x and it wrote at 4x anyway. Anyone know why it would do this?
    Man, this is a learning experience, to say the least.
    I have used the Sonys to archive some VCR tape to DVD on the player with no problem. They burn fine in the player. The problem comes in when I try to write on the computer and play on the player. And as I said, all of them burned with Encrypter play fine on the computer, but not the player.
    I have always had good luck with Verbatim for CDs. Anybody have any feedback on them for DVD, quality-wise?

bbmayo - I just wanted to thank you for your page with instructions for using Shrink and Decrypter. They both ran perfectly (with decent media) when I followed the instructions.
    I will check the website to see if the manufacturer has any recommended media.

Len

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Try playing those disk's in other players (like friend's or something) I don't think you actually have coasters I just belive your stand alone player is touchy. Another way to solve this is if they play in other players but not yours then you can pick up an el cheapo one at WalMart (under $40) that will play just about anything you throw in it.

8. djlen

djlen Regular member

Yeah, they play on the computer and will probably be OK on just about anything but what I'm using(Zenith).

On that page I referred to earlier, of yours, you link to on-line suppliers for media etc. I have no idea what's decent media and what's not. Hence, no idea what to order and what not.
    I'm willing to spend the money for good media, so I need suggestions. Also feed back on Verbatim DVDs.
    I am really happy with their Cds.

Len

9. djlen

djlen Regular member

Yeah, they play on the computer and will probably be OK on just about anything but what I'm using(Zenith).

On that page I referred to earlier, of yours, you link to on-line suppliers for media etc. I have no idea what's decent media and what's not. Hence, no idea what to order and what not.
    I'm willing to spend the money for good media, so I need suggestions. Also feed back on Verbatim DVDs.
    I am really happy with their Cds.

Len

10. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Verbatim are like those other brand names,different manufacturers. I like the verbatim +8x media life plus. The verbatim +4x digial movie quality discs are also decent. They have the picture of the movie film spool on the top of them.

Reports of verbatim using c-magnetics are reportedly out there,beware of them.

If you want some great media,try out ty's at meritline.com. I've heard they are a good place to buy taiyo yudens,and you should be able to get 100 discs for under $50.00. Get the genuine ty's,not a generic brand name saying they are made by ty.

11. djlen

djlen Regular member

OK, I'll check it out.
    Thanks for the help guys.

Len

12. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Buy Taiyo Yuden Media there is none better PERIOD!

13. djlen

djlen Regular member

OK, here's another scenario that played out last night.
    I opened Shrink to start the process and during the analyzation process it would get to 99% and lock!!
    Tried it 3 times with the same result.
    Moved my original from the DVD Rom to the new burner and it anylized, and worked without a hitch.
    BTW, it also burned it perfectly(on the Fuji RW media) and plays fine on the TV.
    I'm wondering if part or all of the problem could be the Rom drive. The common denominator between the rips/burns, other than the media, is that all the ones that aren't recognized on my TV player were ripped from the Rom and burned on the burner. The three that play fine were ripped from the burner and then burned there.
    The CD Rom is a 16x BenQ, only 1 year old.
    Thoughts on that?
    bbmayo - I will try the Taiyo media as soon as I find a source for it. Thanks.

Len

14. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Pretty weird: ripped from the rom,burned,wouldn't play.
    Ripped with burner's rom,burned, would play.

Sounds like something wrong with the dvd-rom, maybe dirty,or a weak laser?

You can also get ty's at rima.com

15. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Well it sounds like you pretty much figured out the problem. The DVD ROM there isnt any guessing what else it is as you have explained everything went fine when you ripped with the burner. You could try cleaning the lens with a DVD lens cleaner or you might want to try updating the firmware for that drive. It could also be the way the drive is hooked up in your system? BenQ is not the best of drives could just plain be bad.

16. djlen

djlen Regular member

You think that a dirty laser on the Rom would cause the finished disc to be un-readable on the player?
    So it might not be the media after all?
    I'm only asking these newbie questions because just ran my lens cleaner and I don't want to make another coaster.

Len

17. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Rip the movie with the DVD ROM to the hard drive and then play the files threw media player and see how they work. If they play fine from your hard drive then they should be good. THis way you don't waste any more disks

18. djlen

djlen Regular member

Today I ripped and burned two discs from a boxed set(History Channel's WWII).
    The first disc ripped off of the DVD burner, ripped burned and played on the TV DVD player just fine. I used an LG Disc that came with the player for that one.
    I then burned the second disc exactly the same way, but with a Sony and it's a coaster. That's gotta tell you something!!!!!
    If I want to archive VHS tape to DVD within my player they work fine and without a hitch. But burned out of the computer, they are worthless.
    Now I just tried what you suggested. I opened my Windows Media Player, went to file and the location where the file for the second movie mentioned above is supposed to be, but the folder opens blank, with no sign of the file.
    If I go directly to the location C:DVD My Work(suggested by the scubba guy:)), and click on the file the Decoder opens, ready to burn it.
    I know that if I burn it again with the Fuji RW media it will burn fine, but why isn't it recognized by the media player? It's not in the media player's file and it won't drag and drop if I direct access it into the media player.
    I hope this is understandable.

Len

19. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey djlen, I'd try a different media.That would be the easiest and simplest thing to try. Try a small pack of maxell's.

20. djlen

djlen Regular member

Based on my experience of the last couple of days I have to agree.
    I have 3 coasters that were burned to Sony and all the others were successful burns that play on the TV player, with Fuji Film discs.
    I will pick up some Maxells and some Fuji DVD-R and see how they work out.
    I think I may have an issue with my DVD ROM drive, but that's a whole other can of worms.

Len