1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why to build in an chip

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by kammetje, Oct 27, 2004.

1. kammetje

kammetje Guest

Can someone explain to me to build in an chip in the ps2 to play back-up games?

I underdstand it's for prtection etc.... but can't it be solved in the software while burning the back-up??

2. notmyname

notmyname Regular member

The reason backups dont behave like originals is cuz the originals have data written at the very center of the disc. Only special manufacturing burners can write to this section. This is intentionally done to thwart pirating. Off-the-shelf burners cant write there. So actually you could write a driver for your burner and modify any hardware lockouts in the drive to get it to write to this sector; prolly some specialized burning proggie to force a specific write here as well. That is alot of effort, and illegal, I think. The modchip concept is much easier to market and sell. The Swapmagic discs are rumored to use the same data in the middle of their disc as is used in Crazy Taxi. I assume the sellers have a commercial recorder capable of writing this data.