1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why wont a PC read an XBOX disk????

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by sonicbuzz, Oct 7, 2004.

1. sonicbuzz

sonicbuzz Member

I know a PC will not read an xbox disk, but does anyone really know why?

I have read that the xbox DVD drive reads the disk backwards. Hmmmm... Who is going to believe that?
    Then there is the "dual layer" theory but movies are dual layer and a PC reads them. Only the abilty (for PC users) to record dual layer is new. Most PC DVD players read dual layer and have been able to for a long time.

What is different in the format of the file on an xbox DVD?

2. clarky

clarky Regular member

2048 bit encryption on the disk
    and they key is on the xbox mb only.

3. sonicbuzz

sonicbuzz Member

Ok...Hmmmm.....
    Then when one creates an xbox ISO and burns it, can I assume that the encryption is on the disk? Because now you can not read the Disk in a PC. An of course I am talking about a backup disk. With that, can I assume that the makers of Xiso and Craxtion know the code so that they can put it in the ISO file?
    Or, is the file structure/format still different also?
    Maybe with the right software a PC could read a backup disk? I'm not sure why anyone would, just wondering???

4. MikeDDR

MikeDDR Regular member

I heard a lot of times that the xbox DVDs are written outside in instead of inside out as normal DVDs are.

5. sooter8

sooter8 Member

Well xbox uses a different layer on the DVD. You can't actually burn an xbox game to a dvd and expect it to work on an unmodded xbox. To rip a xbox game, you have to put it in your xbox, and ftp it to your computer, then you can put it on a storage dvd (for later use or a modded xbox) or send it to your xbox to play off the hard drive. As far as burning them to a dvd with your dvd burner...sorry, onlt MS knows :p

6. sonicbuzz

sonicbuzz Member

Ok, let's look at the "inside out" theroy:
    That would mean my DVD-R would have to be capable of buring a DVD inside out. I don't think that is possible?????

I think there has to be something in the file structure of the ISO. What do xbox iso creation tools (xiso, craxtion) do when they are "patching" the files when they create a xbox ISO? Maybe that is the key to the answer?......

7. my_name

my_name Guest

Any chance that you could install linux/ windows etc on modded xbox HD and then share the drive over a network to allow the PC to read the disk?? just a thought!

8. sonicbuzz

sonicbuzz Member

Yes, you can do that. The question is: why you can't read an Xbox "format" DVD directly in a PC DVD Drive.

This is not something anyone with a modded xbox and ftp capabilities (including myself) needs to do.

It's just an Engineers mind (mine) wanting to know "Why"?

9. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

I think they are written inside-out, and of course a pc dvd drive cannot read this so when they are reburnt they are burnt forward like a normal dvd.
    So this is why dvd backups of xbox games can be read in a pc drive.

That makes sense to me but i dont have the correct answer.

10. sonicbuzz

sonicbuzz Member

Dvd backup's can not be read in a PC. Not in Xbox iso format. That is the topic of this discussion. Or, is that just the case for my "network" of friends?
    Can you make a backup and play it on the xbox (from the disk) and also see the files when you put the DVD in your PC?

11. punqewe

punqewe Active member

pc files are either NTFS or FAT32 and the xbox uses FATX.

12. OzMick

OzMick Guest

I've read elsewhere on these forums that the XBox TOC is written on the second layer of the discs, so standard drive protocols don't read it. That way, the PC does pick up a TOC, but only plays the video saying it is an XBox game. But yeah, as has been said, there is no need to be able to read it in your PC if you just have the box modded and hijack the reader through EvolutionX etc.

13. sonicbuzz

sonicbuzz Member

Ding, Ding, Ding, I believe punqewe gets the prize! One attaboy.

ATTABOY PUNQEWE

FATX looks to be the REAL reason.
    There is a lot of info (Technical software jargon) on the FATX file structure. There was a lot of work done in linux to recognize the FATX. Bottom line, it is a modified version of the standard FAT file stucture that is used in dos/windows.

Phew, I can now sleep at night :)

After all, Inquiring minds need to know.

Thanks to all....

PS: Just think, I was about to modify my PC DVD drive and reverse the motor polarity so I could read and Xbox game - NOT.

14. daveuk1

daveuk1 Member

hi,

i thought that the xbox uses afile system called xfs?

thanks,

D.