1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why won't burned CDs play in car CD player?

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by mletts, Jul 25, 2002.

1. mletts

mletts Member

Recently bought a Honda Civic (1999 used) and it has honda cd player. It won't read my home-made CDs. Any reason for this? Is there some sort of DRM included with the stereo or should I use another format?

Any help on this would be appreciated.

thanks.

Mletts

2. SharkyZA

SharkyZA Guest

Check that the CD player supports "Multiread" same as PC CD Roms, not all read copied CD's. Have also found that certain types of CD-R blanks work and others don't.

3. Almighty1

Almighty1 Guest

What color discs were you using? That has some effect on the Car CD being able to play the disc or not. I think the Honda CD Players are all Alpine. For CD-RW's, your CD Player needs to support CD MultiSession Mode 1/2 in order to play CD-RW's and for it to be recognized.

4. Pio2001

Pio2001 Moderator Staff Member

My Yamaha CD Player (CDX860) doesn't support multisession, nor mode 1, nor mode 2. It only supports audio CDs, like 99% of the CD Players.
    It can read some CDRWs.

5. Almighty1

Almighty1 Guest

Maybe you're lucky... When did your Yamaha CD Player came out since it depends on the year when it came out I think. My Sony DVD DVD-S7000P Reference DVD Player only plays CDR's but not CDRWs.

6. Pio2001

It came out in 1991, or at least it was the year I bought it.
    But I've said it read SOME CDRW.
    Usually, it doesn't read them. It didn't read Princos. It usually doesn't read Memorex, but one (or twice ?) it played it all the same.
    It's fair to say that it doesn't support CD RW playback.
    The fact that it succeeded once just points out that it's an incompatibility with the media, not with the standard (that was a standard red book audio CD, by the way, I just put a CDRW blank in the burner instead of a CDR blank when I created it).

Last edited: Jul 27, 2002
  7. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Pio,

Yes my home CD player Rega Planet behaves just like that too - I have been few times succesful with CD-RWs, but it is safe to say it is not CD-RW compatible.

Actually I think that this kind of behaviour indicates good quality optics of the CD player?

8. Almighty1

Almighty1 Guest

It might not be just the optics since Rega is known as a high-end audiophile grade brand so probably the electronics and everything is just better and more sensitive.

9. Pio2001

For me, it indicates that the RF signal is well amplified, so that the weak reflectivity of CD-RW is somewhat compensated. But it doesn't prove that the optics are better.

There are portable discmans that are CD RW compatible. I don't think they have better optics than your Rega :)

10. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Almighty,

Rega (like many of these "audiophile brands") uses Sony optics. If there is any magic in the player, then it is in the D/A (Burr-Brown) or analog stage.

11. Almighty1

Almighty1 Guest

cd-rw.org,

That doesn't sound right. Audiophile brands use Philips lens and transport and Burr-Brown, Crystal Semiconductor or Analog Devices DAC's. Sony lens aren't use in audiophile brands at all because their quality isn't as good as the Philips. My friend sells Rega as well as Rotel and some other high-end brands and none of them uses Sony lens or transports.

12. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Rega Planet 2000 uses Sony parts (http://www.acdc.com.tw/equipment/digital/rega/planet.htm ). I don't have the specs for the original Rega Planet, but I am 95% sure that it was Sony too.

13. Almighty1

Almighty1 Guest

I guess there is a exception to every rule... I just don't recall many things using Sony mechanisms but rather Philips because the Philips stuff is generally better made.