1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why won't my modded ps2 play pal games??

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by Cand, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Cand

Cand Member

I have a MagicV modded v7 ntsc PS2. It plays backup dvd-r and cdr fine. today I tried to play 2 different backed up UK/pal game and it's only in black/white. I know this is a pal/ntsc issue. However I was under the impression that mod chip means it'll play both pal and ntsc games. Pls clarify.

btw, it was by a prof modder. but I'm now suspecting whether it was really magicV chip. display says SCPH-39001 and PS driver 1.10. how can I tell what chip is inside?

[edit] I should have titled this differently. my PS2 does play pal game but doesn't display (output) in ntsc signal. My tv is only in ntsc so I'm thinking now maybe this problem is because here in N.america we can't buy tv's that 's PAL-switchable. am I right?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2004
  2. ahonenm

ahonenm Member

I'm not quite sure about this, but it might help if you had an RGB-cable instead of the standard composite (round yellow hole :)) cable that's shipped with your PS2. Correct me if I'm wrong though - if it's the other way around (me playing ntsc games on pal tv) the RGB cable works as a solution to the b&w issue.

Any game store should sell those, ranging from 5 to 20 euros. In any case, if you already haven't got an RGB cable you should get it anyway, for it significantly enhances picture quality in all your games.