1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why won't my xbox play my dvd+r movie?

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by wings177, Feb 23, 2005.

1. wings177

wings177 Member

Why will my friends xbox play a dvd+r burnt movie and my xbox says the disc is not a dvd or is scratched? Would a dvd-r work better? It was memorex dvd+r media, what can I do? Im also using dvd decryptor and DVD Shrink to make them. I tried a DVD+ that was burned with dvdxcopy xpress and it worked fine. What can i do? I want to be able to play the dvd decryptor movies. The xbox also has a mod chip if that matters, but i play the movie with the chip off.

2. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

That's strange. I backup my dvds with DVD Shrink and burn wit Decrypter and it works perfectly (on +R media). Try different media.

3. wings177

wings177 Member

What media would you suggest?

4. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

I would suggest using quality media. TDK and Verbatim are very good.

Then again, it could be your xbox dvd-rom drive. Your friend may have a different dvd rom drive than you. Some like +R, and some like -R. Try an -R if +R doesn't work for you.

5. uji2b1k

uji2b1k Regular member

FIRST OF ALL WAS YOUR XBOX MODDED IN ANY WAY (duh)
    AND YES I HAVE HEARD THAT DVD-R ARE BETTER, BUT I AM NOT SHURE

6. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

Your xbox doesn't have to be modded to play dvd backups, only xbox backups :)

7. mimesis

mimesis Member

most likely you have a v. 1.0 or a 1.1 which means you have a thomson drive and you need to replace it because they blow...................either mod yourself a sammy 616-t or by the normal samsung drive for the xbox it is well worth it.

8. Jimbo420

Jimbo420 Guest

I had a 1.0 with a thompson. I recently replaced it with a samsung, works great now!!!!

9. Munas

Munas Member

Where's the best place to get a Samsung Drive?
    And how easy is it too install it?

10. djboogie

djboogie Regular member

Hey Quadratic they finally made you senior!!
    bout time too!!
    :)
    Its interesting regarding media, BUT the burner you use also has an impact.
    See my other thread regarding the new pioneer 109 burner, which also includes other information and tests I made with a NEC 2500 and a Pioneer 106

btw get a sammy drive on ebay, (SDG-605) install is plug and play, very easy. HIGHLY recommended drive! The big problem with the Thompson is the build quality is crappy. Thats why they all read different........and wear out pretty quick (well most of em) even the ones that don't tend to have long load times and slow upload - to - PC speeds.
    I also use DVDSHRINK, find it to be very good software, especially if you want the movie only with little or no compression.
    I use Stomprecordnow max for xbox backuos (which incidently is the only software so far, that works right with the pioneer 109 for xbox backups,even then you have to get update DLL's, and dont even bother making dvd-r backups with the 109, use dvd+r)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2005
  11. DynatyxXx

DynatyxXx Regular member

umm just use a dvd-r.even the almighty samsung has problem reading +r

12. djboogie

djboogie Regular member

Dynaty is right
    HOWEVER it does depend on your burner too.
    IE burn a dvd+r with a pioneer drive in your pc, cant get it to work, Use a NEC, I can. In fact I tried 8 types of DVD+R burned on a NEC2500 and they all worked in my xbox sammy drive.
    so drive+ firmware+ xbox drive+ media
    need to be taken into consideration.

13. stagnant

stagnant Member

Hows it going guys, im new to this game, but im gettin the hang of things. Can anyone help me sort out why my xbox wont read my finished products. I have a xenium, in a standard xbox with evox, i've already ripped some stuff to my laptop. After i make the game files iso's,(using game disk format image, through ms-dos) my xbox says the disk is unknown. I made a copy of my friends burnt game and it works fine, so my media is allright... any suggestions

14. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

Just because it worked for him doesn't mean it will work for you. Like djboogie said, there are a number of things to take in consideration like:

DVD Burners-Some burn better than others (like djboogie said) Pioneers are usually rated as the best.

-Your Xbox DVD ROM tray (there's three, and even you have the same one as him they can still be unpredictable.

-Your media-Some xboxes like different media, even if it is the same dvd rom drive.

Also, it's a good idea to replace your dvd rom tray with a Samsung if your Thompson is giving you problems. I personally don't have any, but a lot of people do.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  15. Bohefus

Bohefus Regular member

It's more a question of what burner you used to create the disc other that what type media + or - .Alot of drives automatically change the "booktype setting" from +R to DVDROM when you burn a +R disc.If your drive doesn't change this and leaves the booktype as +R, it won't be very compatible. -R discs will be more compatible with more dvdrom players.

16. DynatyxXx

DynatyxXx Regular member

djboogie it seems we have the same dvd drive.

17. khimson

khimson Member

Im new with burning DVDs and owning an xbox, so bare with me if my question has already been answered above.

I am using a plextor dvd burner and using dvd shrink to burn my dvd on +Rs (Phillips brand 4x) and i wanted to play dvd+r on my xbox and it cannot read it. From what ive read certain xbox can and some cannot and there is basically 3 types of cd-roms in the xbox's, How can i tell what kind i Have??

Also how much will a new rom cost and will i be able to take it to a microsft certifite place and have them change it to the one i want?

Please respond with any other helpfull comments you may have that you think I'll need.

Thanks,

18. Jimbo420

Jimbo420 Guest

19. punqewe

punqewe Active member

Am I the only one that hasn't had problems with DVD+R's? That's all I've used for the past 2-3 years and I haven't had one disk fail on me. Maybe since you used another program (dvdxcopy) and it worked....and the first way you tried didn't....you would have to put two and two together and say that it was a method of ripping and burning that was the problem. I mean in this problem the control was the dvd drive/xbox......not the movie.

20. mimesis

mimesis Member

Actually this isn't true there are 5 or 6 now.

Thompson (1.0-1.1)
    Philips (1.1-1.5)
    Samsung SDG-605 (1.2-1.5)
    LG (1.5-1.6)

The new 1.6's (1.6b) use 2 different drives

There is a new redesigned Samsung and there is also a new Hitachi drive. www.xbox-scene.com will give you all the necessary information you will need to learn to mod your xbox and how to back-up. However, for your question go to www.ebay.com and look for SDG-605. If possible send me an e-mail and i might be able to find one for you. I sell xbox parts on ebay from time to time since i buy broken xbox's to sell for parts and to mod for my own purposes.