1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why won't my xbox play my dvd+r movie?

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by wings177, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Artlover

Artlover Member

2. dontbugme

dontbugme Member

there are 3 possibilities as to why you cannot read +R(W);

1) Your reader in your xbox sucks, replace it or soldier on with what you've got

2) the media is crap and it won't read it, get better media

3) you have a samsung drive (2 holes in tray) and your media is not booktyped to -ROM, and as is well known, a samsung will not read a +R that isn't booktyped as such, maybe this doesn't cover movies, but seeing as it's probably to do with the firmware, I'd anticipate it'll reject any +R not booktyped.

personally, I have one of the new Philips drives and it reads anything and everything without problems, I still can't understand why people still seem to thing the samsung is best, the new philips are pretty much perfect.
    Ritek media seems to suit best I must say.

3. jobdone

jobdone Guest

We are also missing one very important point.I don't think it applies to everyone on here , but needs to be taken into consideration.If burning a disk (not an iso) with Nero it will not make thew UDF file system properly. This is not a problem on 99% of dvd players but DOES affect the XBOX! make sure you use either DVDDecrypter or STOMP! recordNOW MAX! or burning software which can make the file system properly..!
    Having said that if your friend plays the disk on his XBOX and not on yours it is almost certainly he has one of the better DVDROM's and you don't

4. Brice123

Brice123 Member

I am not sure if it was mentioned already, but depending on what drive you have, it won't read +R discs. I remember seeing a chart that had which media worked with which models that were made in different places. I remember the chart showing that most xboxes work fine with DVD-R. A lot work with both formats and only a slim few only work with DVD+R. Every xbox I have come across has worked with DVD-Rs. I have had only a couple that didn't work with DVD+Rs and I think they were older. So its mostly a question of the drive you have in your xbox and whether it supports dvd+r. I am sure there are DVDs out there that are crappy quality and won't work because they are crap, but I use the most generic DVDs and they work fine for me. Hope that helps.