1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why won't n e one help

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by bigdave82, Oct 15, 2002.

1. bigdave82

bigdave82 Guest

my question was about the widescreen and full screen displays on the original dvds. i seen a double sided dvd that had widescreen display on one side of the disk and full screen on the other. so if u choose which display u prefer, it can easily fit on one disk. but when there is both displays on a single sided disk, is there a way to only strip one and not the other, or is it only one file in which the dvd player controlls the display. please help n e body?????/

2. forker

forker Member

This should be an easy task. Find out which set of VOBs is the wide screen and which set is the fullscreen, then just rip those with their ifo files and the video_ts.ifo. If you do not know how to do this, here is the easiest way for newbies. Rip all files using Smartripper. Cut out one of the large set of VOBs to a temp directory and try to play widescreen in the original directory. If you get an error, then that is the fullscreen set and the other is the widescreen set. After you get just the widescreen(or fullscreen if you prefer, but I don't see why you would...) in a directory (don't forget VTS_XX.ifo and VIDEO_TS.IFO) Do get vts sectors in Ifoedit and the previously discussed auto-start movie function. Tada, you should then only have that one view. For more information or if you are not familiar with ifoedit, read the guides on Doom9.

3. bigdave82

bigdave82 Guest

hey thanks for the help. i found the fullscreen vobs and took them out. the total disk size went from over 6 gigs to 3.7 gigs. so before changing the quality of the movie and all that, definately check to see if there is a fullscreen and a widescreen and get rid of the full screen. thanks again. oh yeah what is a good program to burn the dvd?

4. forker

forker Member

Nero is the best burning program around, IMHO. I just burn mine using the data dvd option. It seems to work just fine, and you'll never have a burn error like with the DVD Video option.

5. bigdave82

bigdave82 Guest

thanks a lot forker. i was gonna ask why nero wouldn't burn it with the full screen vobs gone it would just say error. but u already answered my question before i even asked it. i'll try the data dvd option instead of the video. thanks again. you were a really big help.

6. bigdave82

bigdave82 Guest

hey forker. i know this is the wrong forum but nobody will help in the other one. i have dvdit and i've been trying to burn my collection of music videos to dvdr and when i try it says "contains mpgs with illegal parameters for dvd, will not play in standalone" can u help me???please

7. forker

forker Member

I would gladly help you if I knew anything about DVDit, but unfortunately I have not ever used that program before. I just copy DVD's, I don't author them. I'm sure someone will help eventually, just keep bumping your post by posting replies to it. Sorry..

8. bigdave82

bigdave82 Guest

hey i burned the movie with out the fullscreen vobs using nero data dvd and it won't play on either dvd player i've tried. do u have any suggestions. thanks.

9. forker

forker Member

Did you forget to do Get VTS sectors in Ifoedit? If that still doesn't work, what you could do is open VTS_XX.IFO (XX being the set that you want to keep) in Ifoedit. Then go to VOB extras and select the options "Strip Streams" "Correct VOB Unit..." "Correct original IFO files" and "Create new IFO files" Don't split to 2 DVD-R's. Just check all the streams to keep them all since it will fit onto a single DVD-R we just need to do strip streams so it will output to a new directory. After that, open the new VIDEO_TS.IFO file in the new directory and do Get VTS sectors and then just burn those to a DVD-R in the appropriate VIDEO_TS folder. I have never had a problem when using this method. The downside is that you don't get a menu or any extra's, but hey, the movie is really the only thing I want most of the time. Good luck.

10. bigdave82

bigdave82 Guest

thanks for the new info. i'll give it a try. can i just take the files i have left after removing the extra vobs and get vts sectors? my ifoedit doesn't have that option i don't think. maybe i have to get a newer version???

11. bigdave82

bigdave82 Guest

nevermind i found the get vts sectors i'll get back to u and let u know what happens. thanks again

12. bigdave82

bigdave82 Guest

hey i am still having problems. i did the get vts sectors to the files. if i try to burn with nero video it says re-allocation error disk failed. if i try to burn with nero data dvd it asks....you are about to create a write once multisession dvd. session 2 and above will not be readable...how do u want to continue......burn with multisession anyway or burn without multisession. i have no clue what to do here. if u know please fill me in. thanks.

13. forker

forker Member

Alright, here we go... ALWAYS(!), since DVD-R's are so expensive, test the movie you created before you burn it. Just open your new VIDEO_TS.IFO with Ifoedit and click DVD Play. If that doesn't work, download PowerDVD and use it to view the DVD on your hard disk. OK, now with the multi-session disc... I don't think it really matters since you will never burn a second session to the disc, but for possible compatability issues I always close the disc by selecting "Burn without multisession". I just remember that some multi-session CD-R's wouldn't work in some players, so it's better to be on the safe side.
    I strongly suggest you use the method I previously stated in order to just keep the movie. There will never be a problem with the IFO, since Ifoedit custom creates one based on the set of VOB's you use to create the new movie. But keeping the extras and menu is important to some people, myself included with certain movies, so you _should_ be ok by just taking out the VOB's you do not need (the widescreen version in your case) and doing Get VTS Sectors. Oh BTW, it might help avoid errors if you keep the widescreen VTS_XX.IFO and VTS_XX_0.VOB files and then do Get VTS Sectors. If you are trying to keep the menu, the animated menus keep their video files in the VTS_XX_0.VOB of the main movie files. But like I said, sometimes I just say screw it with the menu and extra's because it's a whole lot easier to use the Ifoedit "create new VIDEO_TS..." method. And also, don't forget to region free VIDEO_TS.IFO and the main movie IFO if you are trying to keep the menu and the extra's.