1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Would MS Ever Ban modded 360's From Live?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by navsav, Mar 8, 2007.

1. navsav

navsav Regular member

Well I finally got my wifi and connected to xboxlive for the first time - I paid my 50 bucks for the year right there - and then they proceeded to suck some more money from me via some of those arcade games (I got Galaga and Contra).

So now that there is the live marketplace where you can buy tv shows, movies, games, etc... why would MS ever want to lose the business of people like myself who have these modded boxes but are probably going to end up buying random stuff from the marketplace. Why would you not want my $ just cuz I have a modded xbox.

2. steimy

steimy Active member

because they are concerned about people being able to mod their system and get their games for free rather than paying the 59.99 for them at the store. MS is just an anti-mod company. They did it with the Xbox so you can figure it will be coming for the 360 too.

3. navsav

navsav Regular member

Banning people from live may keep some folks from modding their 360 but for the most part no one will care - just like the original.

But over the next 5 years with my xbox how much money will i spend in the marketplace. I would buy more arcade games, if they have some more cool HD content like that south park episode then I would probably end up buying some of thos too. So over 5 years I just being a single individual could spend a good sum of money in the marketplace. Multiply me with a bunch of others and you are making a lot of cash!!

Also, I never had the old xbox - but did they have downloads like movies and tv shows for that console? How much more has the marketplace grown since the original console?

4. handsom

handsom Regular member

Well; it's to be seen, whether M$ can even detect it or not(I mean in the future, we all know they can't right now). But they aren't willing to support these people, because they pose greater risks than profit.

If people really get into homebrew; they'll probably be able to transfer files, de-protect downloads, and more. If person A can download a video, de-protect it, then upload it to others for free(Whether directly, or over the internet), M$ will never get a good profit margin from those users. So it wouldn't make sense to allow them to stay, if you identify them.

Right now, they can't tell; but for these reasons, they will most certainly ban all modded users they find if something changes in the future. Not to mention the potential for cheating, that was found with the original xbox; especially when softmods became such a viable option.