1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wich DVD Burner the Best

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Standards, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Standards

Standards Member

I Have A Compaq Windows ME
    8GB'S
    63.0MB Ram
    Genuine Intel
    Intel Celeron Proccesor

Wich Dvd burner do you recommend for me to buy for my pc or which is the best dvd burner.one more question.what dvd player can play all type of media?thanks

2. thugs121

thugs121 Regular member

It really depends on preference. What you really want is a burner that can read and write both formats ([bold]dual format[/bold]) of dvds. If you got an old one that can only read dvd+r, and you want to use dvd-r, you'll run into problems.

Depends on whether you have an old stand alone, new one, or a cheap one. If you have an old one, you may be have a harder time playing some media formats. You may run into less problems with newer stand alones. Some say the cheap standalones (made in China) play almost every disc format you can throw at it.

Hope this helps you a bit....

3. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I do not recommend you put a DVD burner in the computer who's specs you listed. You do not have enough Hard drive capacity or enough RAM.

4. thugs121

thugs121 Regular member

Adding to what fasfrank stated: Minimum specs for yor condition....you'll need at least 256+ and 10-15 GBs of free hard drive space...

5. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

Standards,
    Welcome to the forum. You might have more problems than you realize as the ram is a little small ( recommend 512 ram ) and the HD is only 8Gb's ( recommended size is 12-14 GB). If you rip a movie using DVDDecrypter and the movie is 7GB and then you use shrink to compress the movie to HD ( 4.3 gb ) you can do the math) Your HD is not big enough. Now you can use AnyDVD and then use Shrink and maybe that is the method you will use but as cheap as the HD's are buy another HD and install it in the computer.
    Best Burner is the Plextor w/ the NEC, Pioneer and Sony close behind. If you can afford it get the + - burner(dual format)
    If you looking for a DVD Standalone that will usually play most DVD's then you should look at Apex. Downright cheap and usually play everything

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

The best DVD Writer you can get is the one that already has a system built around it!!

Sorry to be so blunt but your PC just isn't going to cut it..

7. Standards

Standards Member

All of ya thank you so much for ya help.i guess ill buy a new pc later on.

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

If your pc was up to the task, my vote would go to either plextor or benq. I have litey's now but am looking at a new benq retail with software.

9. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Yep, by the time you add a bunch of upgrades you are still stuck with the old CPU and Mobo... Pretty much any middle of the road PC built nowdays can be used to burn a DVD if it has a burner.

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi Standards, welcome to aD,

I have to suggest either Pioneer (I have 2 and they are nothing but dependable). My second choice would be for Plextor. Again, each to their own.

As everyone has already told you, you don't have enough HD space. The figure should be, 10 to 15 GB of FREE SPACE. You can "get by" with 256MB of RAM but with RAM as cheap as it is, get as much as your PC can hold. 1 GB of RAM is nice :D)

One last question that I have, how did you come up with a figure of 63 MB of RAM ? RAM usually comes in (If we can find it that small), 8MB, 16MB, 32MB, 64MB, 128MB, 256MB, etc. Where did 63MB come from ?

(Ooopps, I asked that twice didn't I ? Well, it was a really good question. (Lol)

Cheers,

Pete

11. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Teleported.

Hey there Uncle Pete :)

12. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

Standards,
    What everyone is alluding to is by the time you upgrade your computer you could just about buy another computer. Check on that before you update your system

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Yep,

What car.mike said

(Lol)

Saving myself some typing -

Hey, a first time for everything :)

14. maddog60

maddog60 Member

NEC "3520a" dual format just purchased one the thing is awsome got it from new egg 60 bucks

15. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Pioneer, I have 3 108s. Top stuff. You need a new PC! BTW.