1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wide Screen or 'Full Screen'

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by djlen, Mar 18, 2005.

1. djlen

djlen Regular member

I prefer the Full Screen versions of most movies.
    However, in the next year or so, I plan on buying a large screen TV, with all the bells and whistles.

Many movies offer the choice between Full and Wide.
    My question is how does the Full Screen version translate to the larger, new TVs available today?
    Do they fill the screen or are they cut off on the sides, as the 'Wide' versions are on the top and bottom on my little 32" set?
    I don't want to regret not backing up Wide versions down the road.
    Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

Len

2. matts0344

matts0344 Member

I prefer the widescreen version of every movie, just because I'm used to it. I have a 57 inch Widescreen HD TV so widescreen is the best obviously. But even if I had a 4:3 tv I would still prefer widescreen just because thats how it was in the theatres.

On my TV, if I watch a full screen DVD (say like Seinfeld, which is in full screen only because it was a tv show) my tv can do a couple of different things.

1. I can add grey bars on the left and the right of the screen.

2. I can stretch it to fill the screen (this is what I use when watching regular cable or a tv show on DVD)

3. Zoom the picture so that it fills the screen, is not strectched, but the top and bottom are cut off and the picture quality is not as good since its zoomed.

4. Special strech so that the picture fills the screen but the middle is not as stretched as the side.

I personally only use 1, the rest kinda suck.

I'm not sure what this has to do with DVD Shrink though.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2005
  3. buckscrap

buckscrap Member

Full Screen shows the same on widescreen HDTV (the newer bigger and better tv's), you have a whole screen full of the picture, but as stated above when copying in widescreen format the movie shows the same way it did in theatres, widescreen is the way to show them in letterbox tv's.
    Have fun, I own a 43" widescreen HDTV and never would look at a non-widescreen formatted movie unless the movie was never made that way!

4. crozzman

crozzman Regular member

This definitely belongs in a different forum. Widescreen/Full Screen -- DVD Shrink Forum. I just don't see the connection. Those are my thoughts. Sorry djlen.

5. buckscrap

buckscrap Member

I believe this is a valid DVD Shrink question, if a person watches his movies on a 16:9 format television or vice versa why wouldn't he want to DVD SHRINK the correct way in widescreen.

6. djlen

djlen Regular member

Sorry about the inappropriate forum.
    In the future I will try to be more careful where I post.

Len

7. crozzman

crozzman Regular member

There is no mention of DVD Shrink in his post.