1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wide screen

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by rtrg, Feb 24, 2013.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

A friend bought a 23 inch wide screen in the hope that the HORIZONTAL scroll bars(arrows) would disappear because the whole page could now be displayed. At least that was the theory. This is not true. The fonts are stretched to a unnatural look. At 600x800 the fonts are easier to read, older eyes. Except for the wider screen the same overall content is displayed in the same size in the same way. No advantage in my view. Is there a way to HIDE or REMOVE the horizontal scroll bars? If yes I will do that on my 4:3 screen as well. This issue is NOT dependent on browser or web site.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

play with the resolution as might need to be higher then 1024x768. once horizontal bars are gone then change your font size to be able to read better. did that on a customer's monitor a little while back.

3. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I tried that. Not satisfied. I use 600x800 res. Higher res reduces the fonts too much and making the fonts larger to compensate does not work well either. As always I am trying to do the opposite of what the unit was designed to do. I was told that my video card predates wide screen monitors. I was also told that current towers do NOT show the scroll bars at any res. I was also told that if I use an appropriate card I can accomplish the same thing. It does not seem worth the $s.

4. ddp

what do you mean by this? "current towers do NOT show the scroll bars at any res"
    onboard video or videocard & what is it? are you using internet explorer because if you are then see what the text size is set at in the "view" tab above left.

5. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

What I mean is the newest made computers. Again I was told if I upgrade to the most current produced video card that will work in this tower I will have more control of the overall display, font size, resolution, remove or hide the scroll bars.

6. ddp

answer the rest of my question above to see what could possibly be done to fix your problem.

7. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I already have to the best of my knowledge. I cannot offer more info.

8. ddp

you didn't tell me what videocard & computer you have?

9. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

That's some pretty piss poor advice,of coarse decreasing your res to 800x600 is going to give you scrolling bars you've just decreased your amount of viewing space by heaps,what ddp said is correct you need to increase the res then either adjust the fonts or better still use whatever program you view with to adjust them instead or its magnify option,as an example say IE you will find the writing too small the higher the res you go with the vid card so what you do is in the bottom right corner of IE use the magnifier thingy,all it does is magnify the page not the whole desktop.Other option is a screen magnify reader windows has one built in, personally i use virtual magnifying glass its free & can input custom widths,comes in handy on the odd occasion.

You get the issue eh! the further from an object you are (increased res) the more items you can see however doing so decreases the size of the items,so walking towards an on object the better you can view it clearly but the less you can fit in the picture,so to view all of it you'd need to scroll.

edit: the poor advice i was referring to was the computer age & graphic card nonsense unless your using onboard graphics which may not output high enough res

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  10. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I will keep fooling around with this. This is not a deal breaker. If I can increase res and then increase font size that would probably work if I can get the correct combination. This is counterintuitive.