1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WideScreen Question

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Blunck, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Blunck

Blunck Member

Well i have recently just started to burn dvd's and well i have gotten a good grasp on it and well i moved on to burning movies that i have downloaded in avi format... well i rip them to VOB format so i can burn them but (heres my question) when i play the dvd in my dvd player its in fit screen format and not widescreen... i have tried adjusting my tv ratio and as well as my dvd ratio and no luck.. i was wondering what im doing wrong here... i use WINAVI video converter with cloneDVD2.. any help would be great

2. DSYF3R

DSYF3R Regular member

you will find that a lot if not most downloaded movies in AVI format will not be in widescreen format, a lot of the time this is due to them being filmed with a video camera.

3. babelfish

babelfish Regular member

hmmm - most of the movies i used to DL were divx of screening DVDs - so they were made from real DVDs.

you are right that cinecam avis will be in cinemascope but i dont see the point in those (i would rather not see a film than see a really crappy version)

i would guess the setting in winavi might need a tweak to output as 16:9 etc... but as i have never used that s/w i cant say... nero has a dvd making facility that lets you change the output aspect ratio

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

If you use DivXtoDVD to convert your AVI's it has the option of forcing the file to be 4:3(full screen) or 16:9(widescreen) You may want to give that a try it's a free proggy so it can't hurt, but to try :)

5. sadsac

sadsac Guest

I think VOB blanker can force conversion from widescreen to standard and vice versa. I did a trial run and converted a standard dvd to widescreen. It worked, but of course the aspect ratio looked funny. If you like watching people who are wider than they are tall, that's your preference.