1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

widescreen vs. fullscreen.....?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by indy999, Jan 4, 2004.

1. indy999

indy999 Guest

I've been using DVD Decrypter along with DVD Shrink and finally DVD Nero to burn my DVD's. Somewhere in the whole process I've apparently missed a 'switch' where I can preserve the widescreen format. My DVD copy/backup always plays back in fullscreen format (computer and TV). I recognize that some DVD's were created in both formats. The DVD's that I've copied say widescreen on the disk. Where am I going wrong? Thank you very much....I appreciate any advice.

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi Indy, You may be getting that problem from using both Decrypter and Shrink. Shrink will decrypt by itself in most cases. All the movies I have done with just shrink have kept the proper movie version. The only problem I ran into was with both Wide and full on the same side. Its hard to tell in shrinks preview window which is which. Usually (not always) the 1st movie track is the wide version.
    Jerry

3. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

That seems to be the opposite in DVD2One as the uppermost option when given the choice of 2 title sets the same long length (obviously the movie in Wide Screen & Full Screen)...is Full Screen & the second one down is Widescreen.

As Jerry quite rightly stated this is not a rule of thumb ; )

[Just thought I'd add this in case any DVD2One users pass thru on a browse , certainly not to contradict in anyway]

4. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

DVDshrink will show 2 main titles. If you click on either one it will play in the preview screen. It will actually look like a widescreen movie in the preview box and the other (when selected) will loook full screen. Thats how I tell which one I am copying

MAtt

5. herbsman

That's quite a handy feature ; )

6. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

Yep, I sorta stumbled on to it myself.. Glad to be of assistance

Matt

7. dcrosby1

dcrosby1 Member

Is there a way to "make" a dvd full screen? I know most of them come WS these days but we have a reg. tv, so FS would be GREAT! Is there a way to make it into FS???

Donna

8. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

Geez, Not you again..lol I am not sure about that. I would think you "could" rencode it to full screen with the sacrifice of it looking stretched. Most dvd players have a option you can select a different playback format. Ex- widescreen,pan scan,letterbox but they will most likely make the picture look funny.. Anyone else know about this ?

9. dcrosby1

dcrosby1 Member

yep, its me again! LOL!!

Still having trouble with my Panasonic with the new Ritek dvd-r's! Its obviously the player and not the media since the dvd-rs work everywhere else in my house! So I guess we are going to move the machines around since we watch more dvd's in the livingroom where the panasonic is!

I have never been on a forum that was sooooo responsive as this one! You are all GREAT!!! I appreciate all the responses!

Donna

10. herbsman

[bold]Motormatt[/bold] you are right , we have had discussion about encoding to fit full screen but it does create a stretched picture (which to me is not acceptable really).
    I seem to remember that we'd use the normal approach to either converting from W/S to F/S or even PAL to NTSC (and vice versa) & that would be to use TMPGEnc.

If I remember rightly : )

11. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

What can I say.. I dont venture far from my internet connection.. It's sad very sad.. lol .. Herbsman has the right idea.Tmpge will do almost anything you want with a movie (if you can understand it all) I just happen to have both HDTV Widescreen and a regular TV so I can make the movie fit the TV... so thats one problem I dont have to worry about.(booo-ah-ah-ah)

Matt