1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wierdest backup I've ever tried

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by handieeee, Jan 19, 2007.

1. handieeee

handieeee Member

I backed up alot of my DVDs even the ones most people had problems with, but this one has me scratching my head. Every program I've tried (1ClickDVD, Nero, shrink, decrypter) locks up half-way through the reading process. I have DVD43 running in the background. The DVD plays flawlessly in my player. I can't find any damage on it. I kept thinking that I must have gotten a bad press, but it plays perfectly. Any ideas?

2. handieeee

handieeee Member

I forgot to mention that the movie I am trying to copy is Knight Rider Season 2 Disc 1. It's a double sided double layer disc. Its a DVD-9 on both sides. Another note is that 1Click tells me it needs to compress it at 44%. It won't even let me copy the episodes individually to my harddrive. Both sides do the same thing. I can copy episodes 1 and 4 on the disc on both sides, but not 2 or 3 on both sides. The end of episode 2 and the beginning of episode 3 are were it has problems. If it's the dual layer transition that is bad why would it play perfectly?

3. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

anydvd and clone will be able to handel this problem, you can download a free trial of both programs 21 day trial, from slysoft

4. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

I dislike DVD43! it's an AnyDVD want a be! half the time it works the other half it causes problems. I bet if you did what rdmercer1 said:
    you would have no problems with this DVD!

5. handieeee

handieeee Member

Installed both and clonedvd has issues in the same locations. Any other ideas?

6. pahick

pahick Member

In my opinion its your disc. I have run across this a couple times. And to tell you the truth unless you have another dvd drive to try it in your not goin to do it. I have 3 drives,2 NEC's and a LiteOn. The LiteOn is picky about the disc's it reads. When I run into problems like you I use one of my NEC's. Try cleaning the disc with alcohol, and maybe try cleaning your drive. It may help. But its disc related in my opinion. One other thing to try maybe is RipIt4me. Dont ask me but once after doing what I already suggested and still I couldnt backup one I had, I did one last try with RipIt4Me and it worked. Good luck, I know how much of a pain it is sometimes....lol.

7. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

well when you had the problems with anydvd and clonedvd what other programs did you have installed on your system, some programs don't play well with others! dvd43 don't play well with anydvd or clonedvd, so that could be your problems, also get rid of 1click, that is just me, my self i use shrink and dvd region + css free, or ghost dvd iso buster ripit4me dvddecryptor, ashampoo and some time nero. also if it was a bad press it probley would not play.

8. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

Click? man I used Anydvd ,Shrink and burned with Dvd Decrypter (just the main movie ) on a Verbatim Dvdr- disc, easy .

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Sounds to me like a bum press. Do you get any CRC errors while trying to rip it with dvd shrink?

Try ripping with dvd decrypter using File mode,but change 2 of the default settings:

Open up dvd decrypter/Tools/Settings:
    Click I/O tab,and tick ignore all read errors on lower right corner.

Then click CSS tab/tick BRUTE FORCE/ OK and then try ripping. It will take longer,but maybe it can get through those errors if it's a bad disc. I sometimes get lucky with that method,where as dvd shrink and other programs error out.

If you can get it to the harddrive that way,then open up dvd shrink and open files,locate that movie and procede with your normal process.

Stand alone players can get through most of those errors,but when ripping-you need every bit of data from that disc. Usually the most common issue is a crc error-when the rom hits a bad sector and it tries to get through it.After cycling for a while and it can't get through that sector,it'll error out-CRC. That's where setting ignore all read errors in dvd decrypter.It'll keep trying to get through those errors,and some people have taken over a day to rip a bad disc.
    The brute force makes it a more aggressive ripper.

Some dvd-rw drives can also get through those errors,in case you have any other drives available.