1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wifi and desktop

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by rtrg, Mar 30, 2018.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

please move as needed. I recently got rid of my cable service. This leaves me wit no phone as the modem took care of that. I also do not have a phone jack in my room. I use wifi adapter to connect to the provided internet. My desktop has the rj45 jack. I have seen a phone jack adapter with a rj11 in to rj45 out. Can I use such an adapter to connect a 4 wire phone plug allowing the wifi adapter to connect to the net? NO wired connection, modem, router. Is there a wifi adapter WITH rj11 jack that will do the same thing or a box that uses both wifi, phone jack and usb for power? Finding landline phone service is difficult, I do not want a cell phone. If I need to go without a phone I can do that. All advice welcome. All the "boxes" I have seen all require a wired internet connection wherever it comes from, usually a router.

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Back in the day when I had DSL I used an RJ11 to RJ45 adapter to connect a phone line to my PC. In the U.S RJll is the standard for telephone, but that was more than a decade ago.