1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wifi Printer/laptop/tablet problems

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by BunnyLover2, Sep 12, 2015.

1. BunnyLover2

BunnyLover2 Member

I haven'the found help anywhere else, so my brother suggested AfterDawn. I have a wireless Epson Artisan 835 printer, it'swiftly a few years old, but it still works flawlessly. I'very never had any issues with it. Not until last weekend when our WiFi went weird and didn'the work at all for several hours, so I obviously couldn'the print or use WiFi on my tablet. Then WiFi came back on and my tablet couldn't find/see my printer--kept searching for it but nothing. So I opened my laptop and my laptop didn'the have a wireless connection with the printer anymore. Never had this happen, not even during power outage's. So I tried uninstalling the printer software and reinstalling, several times. But my printer just won'the accept our wireless modem password, which I know for sure. The printer can print through wired USB but when I try setting up wireless connection even through wired USB connection, password doesn't work. My printer is no longer under warranty, and i'm just not ready to give up on it. It has so many wonderful features you can't find on new printers. And aside from the wireless, it functions just fine. But now it also won't print from my tablet? Is this a problem with my Internet carrier-ATT? How do I figure out which device the problem is originating from. I already tried unplugging the printer and the modem. I mainly use my tablet for printing, but with no wireless communication, it's useless for printing. How else can I print from a Samsung Galaxy Tab A w/ micro USB port to printer with Ethernet? I already tried the rear USB printer port to tablet Micro USB and nothing. Anyone who can offer useful advice, other than to scrap the printer, please help! I've spent hours and gotten nowhere! Could I buy one of those Wireless USB adapters meant for computers and add it to the front printer USB reader/charging port to give it new wireless capability, or would that justhe not work at all. My printer has a touch screen interface with buttons for printing and setup. But I'm no electronics genius, obviously.
    Big main question- why would my tablet suddenly not be able to find my printer after a blackout that lasted 2 hours? It was printing wireless lyrics in the morning, power went out, then when it came back on, it can'take 'see' my printer. Yes, it is turned on.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

reset your router so that the password is removed, reset the printer so can now connect to router wirelessly & your tablet. once working alright then reconfigure router password & do the same to printer, tablet & laptop.

3. BunnyLover2

BunnyLover2 Member

I know how to unplug it, but it only has one button. How exactly do I reset it. Because I tried pressing it in once and I couldn't tell if it did anything. Will unplugging it for a long time do it? Or do I depress the button for a while? I have no clue where the instructions for it are. Thanks for your help, by the way.

4. ddp

usually on the backside of the router is a small hole marked reset. use a pen or similar pointed object to press the button inside that hole for 5 seconds. what is the make & model# of your wireless router or combo router\modem?

5. BunnyLover2

BunnyLover2 Member

ok, now I've done it!! I reset the router like you suggested, but now no wifi! How do I go about resetting up the modem/router? My tablet won't accept the original password, and I don't know where to go from here. I'm on my smartphone data right now. All of our laptops are setup for wifi-no ethernet cables anywhere! My family is going to kill me! The brand is hard to tell- it says ATT Broadband, I don't see any other brand. but there is one number that might be a model #: 3800HGV-B .
    Good lord, what have I done?!
    can I set the wifi up again myself? Help!

6. attar

attar Senior member

7. BunnyLover2

BunnyLover2 Member

Thank ypu for all of your help, first off. Most is fixed. I did the reset of the modem. Then I wound up calling AT&T b/c I was sure I would need someone to come out to my house to reset up the wifi, but luckily they DO have awesome customer service over the phone. The guy was able to just give me the default password for a different wireless connection. Unfortunately, my printer still won't print wireless from my laptop, but it will print from laptop to printer through wired USB, even though the printer shows a wifi icon on the printer? And now my tablet can print wireless just fine! What is going on? Is there a way to reset my printer to factory default like I did with the modem? But I don't want to make things worse. I tried emailing Epson a week ago about the problem, but never heard back. It can't be a problem with the printer because it works wireless just fine with my tablet. Even the test page printout looks good, like the wifi is there, but my printer just won't connect to it. I'm sorry for all the trouble, but I run a home business, and my printer is a necessity. I keep tripping over the darn USB cable. Could my printer itself have a virus?

8. ddp

have to re-configure the printer to the new router name & encryption key.

9. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

BunnyLover2, reinstall the Epson printer software, with the printer turned on. It more than likely will find the wifi from the router. It did with my Artisan 837.

10. BunnyLover2

BunnyLover2 Member

While I was on the phone with AT&T customer service he waited while I tried to reinstall the printer with the new password and SSID, but even he was baffled when it wouldn't successfully install wireless connectivity between my printer and laptop. It's so weird-no problems printing from my tablet, just the laptop, which is hooked up through USB cable. At least it is printing at all now. But you have to admit it's weird to just stop printing wirelessly overnigjt, which was the initial thing that went wrong and got me to reset the router in the first place. AT&T gave me a 1800 number for Epson, but when they never responded to my email a few weeks ago, I came to see them as useless. I'made afraid to uninstalling the epson software again because I might lose its current function with my tablet. So, I guess for now, I'm stuck with the USB cable. But thanks everyone for your help and advice, resetting the router freaked me out, but I now know I can do a lot more than I thought I could, so for that, I'm most appreciative.

11. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Bunny, if you do decide to reinstall the Epson software, reinstall over the top of what is there already. In this case, don't uninstall what is there now.

12. cyclops1

cyclops1 Member

Bunny, did you disconnect the USB while trying to re-establish your wireless printer connection?