1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wii and Wiikey clarification

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by cmilesy, Nov 19, 2007.

1. cmilesy

cmilesy Member

I have one of the original Wii's from when they first come out. It is a PAL system. It is currently getting modded professionally, with the Wiikey. I have been looking through the forums to clear up a few things but getting really confused. I am just looking to play a few games that have been backed up.

Fistly I see there is update images (currently 1.9b) and setup disc images (currently v1.3). I know that the Wiikey can be updated, but I am unsure of the difference between the two images and what each of them does.

Secondly why is it important that the Wiikey is updated.

Thirdly does the system firmware have any effect. Can I still upgrade it via the internet with the Wiikey installed.

I guess to sumerise I just want to know what I should do, and in what order, when I get my Wii back to play latest backups of games.

Thank you in advance for any help!

2. DraTs

DraTs Regular member

Well, with just a few clicks (around the sticky posts, and other threads) and you can quickly find the answer to all of those questions... and if you cant find it on page 1, a quick click through the search function (details are in the sticky on how to use) you will find them there.

3. Sagadon

Sagadon Guest

1) Update puts new firmware on the Wiikey, and config allows you to change the settings for how that firmware runs (basically checkboxes).

2) The Wiikey needs updating to run SMG, and to fix any other bugs.

3) System firmware does not (yet) have any effect.