1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wii as a cheap media centre

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by dos1986, Jan 17, 2007.

1. dos1986

dos1986 Guest

Hi guys so im thinking of getting a Wii and dont know too much about it I have read a bit on the browser opera but its vague so could someone help me out please.

So my main purpose with the Wii will be to use it as cheap media centre for watching online tv,surfing the web etc anyway what is the web browser on the wii like is it good when watching youtube,dailymotion like is there any slow down etc does its low amount of ram effect the online experience.

what are the pluggins with the browser opera like is there video downloader pluggins etc.And finally is there any way of connecting a usb dvdrw to the burn the files saved on to dvd etc and can I use a usb hard drive with the Wii thanks

2. dazila

dazila Regular member

Well the beta browser crashes sometimes but in 2 months I think we will get a proper version but when it does run it will run it smooth no klag nothing and the ram is ddr3 ram it has 64 mb of that thats like having 256mnb DDR1 in a pc + it has another 24mb 1T-SRAM whihc is as fasty as DDr1

3. dos1986

dos1986 Guest

Thanks Dazilla sounds good do you know if I can hook up a usb dvdrw and usb hard drive to the Wii also is there any os available for the wii yet that will let me run nero etc

4. dazila

dazila Regular member

USB DVD Drive-No unlikely in a console of any kind inc ps3.
    USB HDD-CUrrently no but it is very liekly in the nest year all nintgendo needs to do is put a firmware whihc supports it no hardwar mods the wii has the hardware already 2x 2.0 USB
    OS-There is a linux being worked on
    http://www.wiili.org/index.php/Main_Page
    But it will be at least 6months before it comes out.