1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wii disc read problems

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by stumeston, Aug 19, 2007.

1. stumeston

stumeston Member

I modded my wii with a Wiikey chip, and then I burned the setup disc using a cheap dvd-r. It booted up fine. Then, I updated my console to the newest version and downloaded Mario Party 8 and burned the ISO at 2x to the same kind of dvd-r and it wouldn't read it. Any ideas why this would happen?

2. paztelu

paztelu Regular member

Is I have posted in another thread I have a very similar problem. I installed my wiikey with my wii version 3.0U. It does not boot any backup disc (tried wii backups with several media, also tried Gamecube backups with several media) unable to boot wiikey setup disc. It boots original wii sports prefectly.Im really frustated any help will be aprecciated. I have rechecked soldering and found no problems.

3. falcon209

falcon209 Regular member

This might or might not apply:

stumeston: You installed the WiiKey, burned the setup disc and booted to it. Then you updated to system update 3.0. Then you burned MP8 and it wouldn't work. OK... is the MarioParty8 you downloaded the same region as your Wii?? Because if the MarioParty8 you downloaded is a different region (your Wii is NTSC and MarioParty8 is PAL) then you would need to turn on the region override with the WiiKey setup disc. BUT unless you did that BEFORE you updated you will need to run the GCoS disc 1st as the 3.0 system update has basically disabled the WiiKey setup disc from loading.

paztelu like above, are the Wii games you are trying in the same region as your Wii? Have you checked the compatibility site??

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/index.php?title=Wii_Region_Patcher_Compatibility_List

Try burning your games again at a slower speed.

Hope this helps!

4. larrylje

larrylje Active member

@paztelu

Are you sure you recevied a genuine Wiikey and not a clone?

If you got a clone then most ussers have to run the setup disc first before the Wiikey clone would work.

If this is the case then your pretty much Sh*T out if luck till Wiikey releases a Wiikey update that can boot with the new 3.0 firmware.

If you have a Wiikey clone and need to run the set up disc before it will run then your stuck. Because in order to run the set up disc on 3.0 firmware you need to use a GCoS boot disc. If the Wiikey clone is not set up to boot backups then the GCoS boot disc will be unbootable.

5. paztelu

paztelu Regular member

:'( Well I doubt is a clone, I bought it from consolesource which is an official wiikey.cn reseller. If Im that unlucky to get a clone Im screwed for now, And yes all of the backups I tried are from my Region. Im going to try taking it to a mod store tomorrow to see what is their opinion and check if they can fix the problem, Still any other ideas aprecciated thanks!

6. stumeston

stumeston Member

The MP8 ISO I downloaded is an NTSC one. I don't know why it won't work. I have the genuine wiikey too, it came with the hologram. Aaargh!

7. larrylje

larrylje Active member

@stumeston

Is your Wii an NTSC(U) Wii or is it a PAL Wii?

If it is a PAL Wii then MP8 is not region comptible with your Wii.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2007
  8. stumeston

stumeston Member

My wii is NTSC. I just don't understand why it would load the wiikey configuration disc and not a backed up game. They were both burned at 2x on the same kind of disc.