1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wii DVD Drive apparently dead

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by Cali3350, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Cali3350

Cali3350 Guest

Hey guys. My friend attempted to install a WiiKey and from what i understand the solder went very badly. Whatever, still tried to put the Wii back together so that he still has a functional one - however for whatever reason the DVD Drive wont boot. The system boots fine and were capable of navigating around the screen just fine, however when we go to the Wii Disk icon to start a game it just says "Please insert a Game Disc". Beyond that when going online with the Wii (such as to the wii store) the console will just go all black (output) and nothing else happens. Im figuring the drive is just dead, however am hoping maybe you guys can help us figure this out.
    If it is dead, does anyone know of a place to buy a Wii DVD Drive?

Thanks Guys!

2. theridges

theridges Guest

lol...
    i just did the same exact thing to mine...
    really my solder job wasnt all that bad but i think 2 connections are bridged,at first i thought it was the modchip but i removed the chip and it was still doing it....

tomarrow im going to get a desoldering braid and remove the solder off the drive :/
    hopefully that will fix it :)

3. Menion

Menion Regular member

I did this 2 my first wii funny enough, I ended up just taking out the Modchip (Same prob) so I sent it back to Nintendo and got another one and modded that one perfectly - Though I thought the same thing at first got a jewlers glass and was under very good lighting and searched everywhere never found a bridge, A topic then popped up with someone doing the same thing as me and it was apparently because he got the soldering iron to close to one of the small fuses and fryed it, but he simply jumped the fuse and it worked fine from there, not sure how much that helped but something to keep in mind

4. theridges

theridges Guest

so if we close up the wii,
    we can just send it too nintendo and they will send us a new one?

5. Menion

Menion Regular member

well what i did was closed it all back up called in for warranty and set it up for advanced replacement and gave them a credit card number to put a lean for $200 and they sent me a new one i did it on monday had the new one on wendsday and sent theres back got an email a week later that told me that they got it back and wouldnt charge though i suspect if you did it now the replacement may be a D2C chip though if they used refurbished good chance that it could be a D2A or B chip Though If reguardless if moddable or not I would rather have a working wii than no wii

6. riceboy20

riceboy20 Member

this is not ebay. edited by ddp

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  7. dazila

dazila Regular member

It dosen't sound just like the Disc Drive because the Disc drive has nothing to do with your Wii Shop Channel and you said it dosen't work.

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

riceboy20, no you don't!! post edited

9. DavGerm4

DavGerm4 Active member

I had this problem with a friend's Wii, so I soldered on this area:

[​IMG]
    There is a little chip that is connecting two points together, and you can either solder a wire on both ends, or take the chip off and solder both points together! The points are really small, but if you do it right, the Wii Drive should be working! It worked for me and many others!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  10. coolzaidi

coolzaidi Member

copied and pasted from maxconsole forums.

"However, some good guy found a fix to this.
    What you are about to do is bridge a little fuse that doesn't work. Probaly killed trough the heat.

You can use a cable, or be desperate like me and just make a big soldering iron click over the whole fuse."
    [​IMG]

Apparently that solves the dead drive problem.

11. Menion

Menion Regular member

there you Go, Coolzadi's got it! thats what i was talking about when i was saying to jump the fuse give it a shot it may work

12. theridges

theridges Guest

yea i will give this a try when i remove all the solder off of the board... :)
    i had already read about this....

13. DavGerm4

DavGerm4 Active member

NO! I was the one that had it! he just posted the same thing, only that one has a wire on it! Thanks a lot...

14. Menion

Menion Regular member

sorry DavGerm4 but the one with the wire is what I saw in the past that I was refering to but since you posted it first I shal give you an applaude! hope you feel better now >:)

15. DavGerm4

DavGerm4 Active member

O I feel so much better now! Thank you for that...

16. dimebag07

dimebag07 Member

can i just ask, have you run the wiikey setup disk? i installed a clone (wiikit) with the wired install, it wont boot any wii games, and wont even load the picture, put the wiikey setup disk in and itl come up with the gamecube icon, run it, use the reset button to navigate through the options (as your using homebrew soft) and hold reset to select what your highlighting, you need to turn region override to on! reason being the wiikey does not come region specific, if theres no ovveride then it doesnt accept foreign disks, which in the wiikeys books is all regions, i thought i nakerd it up and de solderd etc, but turned out just needed config disk, depending on updates u need to use hexeditor or download a pre edited version of the wiikey setup, burn and insert, psx forums have all the info u need, let me know how you go on.

17. theridges

theridges Guest

We'll i removed the solder and the drive is working again but it wont read the any disc's these are original's im trying so does anybody know the problem?

18. dimebag07

dimebag07 Member

sounds like somethings still connected, is it wiifree? do you mean you have removed the chip? or just the solder that bridged? i repeat no chips will work without configuration, for the wiifree you have to first put an origional pal disk in to set the region, but the wiikey will not read any disks (inc, origionals) until the setup disk has been inserted and configured, what chip are you using? if itsa clone you will need a diff version, im tellin you man mine dint read any disk at 1st then inserted disk and bam!

19. theridges

theridges Guest

no i removed the chip and the solder it is back to normal and now the drive just wont read disc's.....

20. swannman

swannman Member

I have the same prob. A friend of mine modded his wii and then the cd drive did not work. so he gave it to me after he took the chip out. thru this forum I found out a fix. I jumped the fuse. The drive stared to work but would not read any discs. I tried a couple diffrent originals and they still do not work. i am at a loss to what the problem could be.