1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wii Fit

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by Erdrick, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Erdrick

Erdrick Regular member

I just picked up a Wii Fit today. I have a modded American Wii, and I play both Japanese and American games on it. I decided to get the Wii Fit, as my wife really wanted it. Can't complain when SHE is the one that initiates a video game purchase.

Anyways, my question is, should the Japanese Wii Fit work with my modded U.S. system? I don't see any reason why it wouldn't as all of my other Japanse accessories (Wii remote, GC wavebird, etc.) all work with my U.S. system. It would just be a shame if it didn't work, since there are no returns on opened stuff over here in Japan.

2. brido84

brido84 Regular member

Check here to see if its compatible, I think it is but it contains the same protection as SMG, so you need your mod chip to be up to date and make sure your console is up to date before playing as the update could brick/semi-brick your Wii.

3. Erdrick

Erdrick Regular member

Thanks brido84. I have my modchip updated to play SMG, as I already gave that game a run through. I am actually more concerned about the actual controller itself. I found an import store that claimed that a modded Aussie system would be fine playing the Japanese Wii Fit. That would lead me to believe that the controller is compatible.

I had been looking for the link you provided for a while. Google wasn't bringing it up when I would search for it, and I somehow lost my bookmark for it. Thanks.

This is what your link said, "Original works with balance board. Game requires balance to work. SMG protection exists - ie. Error #001, Unauthorized device has been detected. Update will create duplicate channels."

I am guessing that by "requires balance to work" means that the actual person playing needs to have good balance to play it, and has nothing to do with the actual device. Kinda unnecessary info to add to a compatibility posting if you ask me but...

I will post my results here later. Wish me luck. I should be alright, but wish me luck anyways!!!

4. Erdrick

Erdrick Regular member

System: U.S. Wii
    Modchip: Wiikey w/1.9g
    firmware: 3.1U

I have the above system in my possession. Most of my games work flawlessly. For some reason though, SMG, when I initiated the update contained on the disc (AFTER updating the wiikey to 1.9g), stalled out right before the bar completed. I let the system keep running for about 10 hours. Nothing changed, so I reset the system. Everything worked fine after this, save for SMG (regardless of burnspeed, media, etc.) would crash every once and a while, and this was able to be remedied by a swap of a different burn of the game.

Fast forward to Christmas morning. I have been playing RE:Umbrella Chronicles, but I now have the Wii Fit. Of course, I want to give it a quick run-through, or rather, balance through! Anyways, the Wii wants to do a system update. Obviously, the Wii Fit version is the Japanese version, and my system is the U.S. version, so letting the update run wouldn't be a good idea.

My question is, is it because the SMG update crapped out (though in the end, DID actually update the system) that the Wii Fit wants to still update me? Is there any work-around for this, other than just waiting for another firmware update from Nintendo/waiting for another game w/an update on it?

Please help! This was actually a present for my wife, so a lot is riding on my fixing this dilemma!!!

5. kelvin232

kelvin232 Guest

Where did you get your Jap WiiFit? been looking for it here but the US release date keeps getting set back and now no one knows for sure when it'll be available...

6. Erdrick

Erdrick Regular member

I got it at my local Eiden -- right here in Toyota-city Japan. I'd be willing to part with it -- for a price! I would be willing to let it go for $100 plus shipping.

7. wiinovice

wiinovice Member

i got one in the Uk - these guys deliver worldwide

www.play-asia.com

also - www.renchi.com

Its so much fun - my wife loves it too!!

8. mikeyjrd

mikeyjrd Member

9. brolaps

brolaps Member

So...has anyone tried this game yet? My wife is itching to play it too, but I don't want to risk bricking my Wii(3.1U). I already did the SMG (J) update weeks ago, so I got those duplicate channels (which don't work).

Maybe I should just swallow my pride and buy a new Wii(J) to run Japanese games without fear. It's not like I can't afford it.

10. Xordok

Xordok Guest

I just received my japanese, Wii Fit..
    Will receive a Wiikey next week in order to play it..
    I am new to this Wiikey / SMG thing..
    I will read all I can, but has anyone been able to play Wii Fit (J) with the balance board with a Modded-US-Wii yet ??

11. Erdrick

Erdrick Regular member

Xordok: My Wii (USA) is fully updated with a Wiikey. It still wanted to perform an update when I put in the original Wii Fit (J) disc. I declined and bought a Japanese Wii. Never looked back. Maybe you will get lucky and be able to bypass the update. Otherwise, it isn't worth bricking your system.

On a side note, Wii Fit gets old fast. There really isn't enough variety to the game. The controller is absolutely amazing however, so it is really only the software that is holding it back right now. Nintendo needs to release a LOT MORE software that utilizes the balance board. Until then, I will be doing a lot of heading, boxing, and hula-hooping. Oh, and someday I will take down my trainer in pushups.

12. Xordok

Xordok Guest

Yeah, thanks for the info.. :)

I won't buy a Jap Wii only for this game though.. :-/
    And seeing your criticism about the game, doesn't convince me to import one either! ;)

As for the material, I got the Wii Fit board and game today.. Still waiting for the Wiikey, but I won't install it if it doesn't allow me to play Wiifit.. :(

Too bad they haven't released SSBBrawl in japan before the US.. ;)

13. brolaps

brolaps Member

My wife borrowed the Wiifit disc from a friend as an experiment. Despite having taken the Super Mario Galaxy (J) update in November, the Wiifit (J) software still tries to initiate an update on my 3.1U Wii. I chickened out and ejected the disc. I'd rather spend another $250 on a Japanese Wii than risk bricking my modded US Wii, as it would be near-impossible to replace.

14. Erdrick

Erdrick Regular member

Brolaps makes a good point. A modded Wii from the U.S. costs about $300-$350. That is, if you can locate a system to begin with. A Japanese Wii costs about $230. I personally would not do anything that would risk killing my $350 system. Especially when you are guaranteed that the $230 Japanese system will work with the Wii Fit. I also enjoy playing my U.S. games on my modded Wii.

Wii Fit -- $300 out the door (jp system and wii fit), for everything else, there is a modded US system.

15. mikeyjrd

mikeyjrd Member

according to that site i posted,

they say that US modded Wii does work for Wii fit, but u will get those useless & probably not working duplicate channels

by the way, lots of people say that (NTSC-U) US Wii w/ mod chip does work better than (NTSC-J) Jap Wii in terms of getting more games to work..

16. Erdrick

Erdrick Regular member

mikeyjrd : While what you say about the Wii (US) being better to mod than the Wii (JP), I want to clarify that ONLY my US system is modded. I picked up a regular old JP Wii with no plans to mod it. Why? I only needed it to play Wii Fit, which you can't play without owning the balance board.

Right now people have only two real options if they want to play the Wii Fit. 1) risk bricking your modded US Wii or 2) buy a JP Wii. Both options require that you own the original software though, since that is only way to get your hands on the balance board. You theoretically could use a burned copy of Wii Fit, but I can't see any real reasons to do so. Well, I suppose that you could use brickblocker on it, and reduce your chances of the software screwing up your US Wii.

Oh well, all I know is that I am able to play my copy now. Good luck to anyone who decides to take a route different than mine.

17. brolaps

brolaps Member

My decision is obviously based on the fact that I live in Japan, hence buying Japanese products is much, much easier than buying US products, especially modded ones. If I lived in New York I might be more willing to risk it. Then again, a recent post in the Wiikey issues thread gives me some hope that my US Wii might not get bricked by WiiFit.

18. Darren804

Darren804 Member

I have no problem with my Wiifit(J) on my Wii(US). I used rawdump and created the .iso first. Then used region free and then brickblocker to remove the update.

It works fine so far.

19. mark0288

mark0288 Regular member

hi got a wii a pal system any way off getting a usa game to work on my system

20. NDarkness

NDarkness Regular member

You will need to mod your Wii with a chip. Since you just got it then you will probably have the D2C chipset. For that you will either need the D2CKey or Argon.