1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wii game will not burn

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by meweasel, May 22, 2007.

1. meweasel

meweasel Member

Hi everyone,
    I have had this problem for three days now. I have d/l three differnt games and I cannot get any of them to burn. I do have a modded wii but if I can't get the media to burn it is pointless. I have tried the following programs and the following media.

UltraISO (I get the error "Invalid or unknown image file format")

ISOBuster (I get the error "During mounting of the disc only a session/track layout could be found. No file-systems nor files and folders could be found."

ImgBurn (which everyone recommends) will burn but there is nothing on the disk.

Nero will also burn but nothing on the disk

CloneCD will burn until the end then it will say write failed

I have used the following media.

Imation DVD-R 8x
    Verbatim +R 16x
    TDK DVD-R
    Nesher DVD-R

I thought that it might be my burner so I went ahead and burned a program and it worked fine. Two of the games are PAL and one is NTSC but I don't think that makes a difference because they won't even burn and my firmware inside the wii is up to date. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

2. larrylje

larrylje Active member

What Modchip do you have?

What Region is your Wii? NTSC(U=USA)/PAL/NTSC(J=JAPAN)

What are the games you are trying to burn and what Region are those games? NTSC(U=USA)/PAL/NTSC(J=JAPAN

Be specific give Game name and what region that game is in.

As to...
    This is normal your computer will act as if nothing is on the disc after burning it.

Last edited: May 22, 2007
  3. meweasel

meweasel Member

I have a Wiinja chip just installed a week ago. The Wii is NTSC The games are:

Super Paper Mario NTSC

Spiderman 3 PAL

Pirates of the Carribbean at worlds end PAL

Thanx for you help larrylje

4. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Spiderman 3 is not compatible with Region Free Patcher's or Region Free Modchips. So you will need to get an NTSC version of Spiderman 3 to play on your NTSC Wii system.

Below is a link that tells you what PAL/NTSC(J) games are compatible with the NTSC(U) system.

When looking at this list you want to look under...

PAL to NTSC(U)

OR

NTSC(J) to NTSC(U)

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/index.php/Wii_Region_Free_Patcher_Compatibility_List#NTSC-U_.28USA.29_to_PAL

However Pirates of the Caribbean and Super Paper Mario should work.

Have you played any other backup Wii game or Game Cube game on the system?

If the answer is No then...

This could be a faulty Modchip that will not work no matter if it is installed correctly or not (Replace the Modchip)

This could be a Modchip instillation problem. (Make sure it is installed correctly and all soldering joints are joined good)

The downloaded ISO Game backup that you downloaded is corrupt (Re-download another version)

I am not familiar with Winja. If it has a Region override option make sure it is enabled. (I doubt it is a region problem since you can't get NTSC to boot either)

Could still be an issue with Media (Keep trying different types of media till you find some that work and stick with them)

Use ImgBurn and try to slow the burn speed down.

Could be a DVD burner issue.(Might need to replace it)

Well thats all I can think of now. Maybe I will remember something else if not maybe others will have more suggestion to add.

Last edited: May 22, 2007
  5. meweasel

meweasel Member

Well I have 4 wii's and when I got the wii's from the shop that modded them I picked one of their burnt games and watched them connect each wii to the TV and load the game. It worked on every wii so I know the chips work. When I burn the games it does not even look like they are being burnt to the disk but I cannot reburn anything because the programs always says media not empty. I guess that I will try and d/l something else. I also thought that it might be the burner but today when I burned a program also a ISO the program was fine so I don't think it is the burner. Thanx for your help and please let me know if you find anything out that may help.

6. stuntman_

stuntman_ Regular member

try verbatim dvd-r's or taiyo yuden dvd-r's and burn at 2x or 4x

if that doesnt do it, its most likely your chip or your burner

7. larrylje

larrylje Active member

It has to be 1 of the above problems...

As I said before the Wii backup is not compatible with Windows so when looking at the disc on Windows it will show a blank disc. but the game is actually on it.

If you want to make sure the DVD is actually burning onto the disc do the following. Put in a Game Backup. Open up ImgBurn then choose MODE/READ when ImgBurn will read the backup disc and place it on your HardDrive. Now compare the 2 ISO's and make sure they are the same size.

8. meweasel

meweasel Member

I did what you said with the iso on the burnt disk. On all the disk they all show that the game iso is on there. Also all of the images are the same size as the one I burnt. So the media is ok? If the media is ok then is the problem with the burning speed or with the wii's. If it is with the wii's then how could they just load up a game and play it? Should I d/l more games? Maybe the ones I got are corrupt. Thanx again everyone for the input.

9. stuntman_

stuntman_ Regular member

try using the media I suggested (make sure the are -R's not +) and burn at a slower speed, if that doesn't work it has to be the wii

10. meweasel

meweasel Member

Hey Everyone I finally got the TDK disk to work. I used ImgBurn but I burnt the disk at 6x at that fixed my problem. I have a wiinja chip so if anyone sees anymore problems like this you know what I used to fix mine. Thanx to everyone for their input I greatly appreciate everything you guys did for me!!!

11. ron8287

ron8287 Member

I just have a factory wii but I'm trying to write Cooking Mama: Cook Off to a blank cd for play on my wii. The region for the game is usa. Please help.

12. larrylje

larrylje Active member

@ron8287

First off you can't play a Wii backup with a factory Wii. You need a Modchip installed.

Secondly you need to burn the Wii game to DVD not CD.

For more information search the forum to learn more about Modchips and guides on how to installl them and how to backup a Wii game.

13. dianogah

dianogah Member

i hope the original poster doesnt mind me asking the same sorta question in this post, but i figured this would be better than starting another thread on the same topic...

i have my wii modded with wiikey and all that, but i cant even get past the burning stage haha.
    im using imgburn and everytime i get to about 96% done, it screws up and aborts.

im using memorex 16x dvd+r and im burning at a speed of 2x. i also made sure that my burner was up to date and everything.

ive tried using nero, but when i put my dvd+r in, the only speed i can use is 4x for some reason. i tried it anyways, and it DRE'd also.

im pretty sure my .iso's are perfect, since ive downloaded them from a very reliable site and everyone in the forums have confirmed the iso's to work.

so it's probably an issue with my dvd burner right? or should i try different discs?

14. larrylje

larrylje Active member

dianogah

I would try different media.

Verbatim/Tayio Yuden I have heard allot say Maxell work great which I Finlay went to Maxell and they work better then the Tayio Yudens I was using.

DVD-R seem to be compatible the most with the Wii.

use ImgBurn to do the burns. If you still have problems then i would look at replacing the DVD burner.

15. BrokexMan

BrokexMan Regular member

u have "4" wii's????!?!

16. drummer3

drummer3 Member

hi there i have the same problem....

i have downloaded mario super strikers football off of mininova.org
    i downloaded with utorrent and waited 2 weeks for it to finish

it is pal
    and i am usin img burn and sony dvd-r

when i downloaded all of the files i opened the containing folder and there was files like these...
    all-mario r00
    all-mario r01
    all-mario r02
    all-mario r03
    etc...
    all the way up to all-mario r89
    but after all of these files which are 46.9 mb
    i came across a file at the bottom which reads ... all-mario.rar

i opened this file finding that it converts all these files into an .iso image is this what im supposed to do?
    i tryed putting it onto disc but it wouldnt recognise the image

so does anyone now were im going wrong?

17. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Yes open the (all-Mario.rar) file and it will extract all the others automatically making 1 ISO file.

Now burn that using Nero or ImgBurn.

Wii systems can be picky at what media it will read. So you might need to try a few brands before finding some that will work on your Wii system.

18. drummer3

drummer3 Member

what do you mean by the wii can be picky?

you mean as in what cds i use....

and if so is there any you highly recommend

19. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I would recommend DVD-R

As to brand it really is up to your Wii at which ones it will read best.

The most recommended are Verbatim or Tayio Yuden. But I have seen some have problems with them. (If you buy these and they work I would recommend using them because the backups will have a longer life span)

I used Tayio Yuden myself and sometimes the Game Disc would work perfect with no problem and some of them would give me disc read errors.

Nothing more frustrating then playing a game and in the middle a Disc Read Error comes up.

So I switched to Maxell DVD-R 16x I burn at 8x using ImgBurn. I have had no issues with Disc Read Errors on these at this time.

All you can do is buy some media and try them. If they work and you have no problems then stick with them.

20. drummer3

drummer3 Member

well cheers for the fast reply mate!

i will get right to it now

dont mind me asking but were do you download your games?

i use mininova or any other torrent sites but i just want to know what other people use