1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wii locks up using WBFS External Hard drive

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by UKuser, Jul 22, 2011.

1. UKuser

UKuser Member

I use a WBFS formatted external drive to store my Wii games to use on my soft mod unit. Recently my Wii keeps locking up if I use HomeBrew/NeoGamma to access these games via USB. I can access my drive using WBFs Manager 3.0 on my PC and can add or delete games. Has anyone had this same problem, and if so how did you fix it?

2. Memnock

Memnock Active member

Format the hard drive. Not just a quick format, but do the long one and then format it with WBFS manager. Try some loading games back. See if that fixes it. Hard drives go bad. It can happen sooner than later in some case. You may need another hard drive.

3. wiisel247

wiisel247 Regular member

Are you sure it's the drive? Is it possible that your Wii was updated, and the homebrew isn't working correctly?

4. UKuser

UKuser Member

5. UKuser

UKuser Member

I tried formatting another drive drive and loaded only one game and the same thing occurred. So its possible that the Wii may have been updated and the homebrew isnt working. Do you know of a fix for this,?

6. UKuser

UKuser Member

7. wiisel247

wiisel247 Regular member

Go into the Wii settings and find out what version of the System menu you're on. We'll get you fixed up once we figure that out.

8. UKuser

UKuser Member

I'm running version 4.2U

9. wiisel247

wiisel247 Regular member

Yeah, it'll be simple. You can still use bannerbomb. Just use ModMii. It will create a guide and download the necessary files.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  10. sui-cyco

sui-cyco Regular member

How does it lock up? Does game load then lock up? Does it just not recognize the HD so no games can be selected? If you got updated then you shouldn't even have homebrew on there. It would have been wiped off.

11. UKuser

UKuser Member

I still have HomeBrew on my Wii, when I select NeoGamma the screen goes blank. I tried using a flash drive formatted to wbfs witha game on and the same thing happened. I can access my HD on my PC by using WBFS manager and I can add or delete games. The same as the flash drive I used.

12. sui-cyco

sui-cyco Regular member

Did you install anything recently that may have caused it. Like new ios or new neogamma? It might be your sd card. Check to see if the sd card has been tampered with. Reinstall Neogamma to your sd card. It doesn't seem likely you were updated because you still have hbc.

13. jmspldnl

jmspldnl Member

Are you connected to WiFi when loading HomeBrew? I have a similar problem, but being connected to WiFi fixes it for some reason. I think the software crashes when trying to check for an update without an internet connection.