1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wii Motherboard

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by red86, Feb 11, 2008.

1. red86

red86 Member

I have been reading about new Wii motherboards being different and the wii key not being usable on these. How many of the wii's are like this and are these being sold in the states? If so, how can i check the wii before buying it to see what type of motherboard it has?

Any addition info is much appreciated.

2. juniR

juniR Guest

It's actually the drive you are referring to and the chip modifies the drive. All new Wiis all over the world have the D2C drive (previously they were D2A & D2B)

If you are buying a new one, then unless you can convince a store that might, under very exceptional circumstances, have a D2B Wii to let you check the serial number against a database you will almost certainly get a D2C Wii needing the D2Ckey or Argon chip if you want to mod it.

In short - new Wii = no chance of Wiikey.

You can find out which drive a Wii has by checking here
    http://wiitracker.nintendo-scene.com/search.php

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2008
  3. red86

red86 Member

Thanks for the reply,

When did they start releasing the Wii's with the new drives? And can the serial number be checked without opening the box, or is it on the Wii itself ?

4. juniR

juniR Guest

Ummm - they been in production for a few months now with stock overlapping up to the end of last year, though there were very few D2Bs left by December. I was actually trying to find a D2B in November and it took me a while to pin one down.

Sorry, I really don't know if the serial is on the box but the mainstream retailers won't have D2Bs. There was a massive shortage and still is actually so as I said earlier getting a D2B would really be a fluke. It may be possible second hand but you'd have to be sure there was nothing wrong with it cos ppl are selling stuff that's been bricked or with modchips that have been discontinued and have no support for the latest games.

5. Thinone

Thinone Regular member

just buy one premodded then u dont have any worries