1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wii with Wiikit help

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by 5couse, Oct 27, 2007.

1. 5couse

5couse Member

Hello all, i need some help if you can...
    Finally took the plunge and installed the Wiikit into my wii, ran multimeter tests from the ic legs of the Wiikit back to the ic legs of the chip on the Wii everything looks ok there so i think my soldering is good. Tried burning a back up of Zelda for the wii which is a game i own, Ive tried using imgburn and nero to burn the image and Traxdata,verbatim,tdk,generic with ritek g05, infiniti and bulkpaq with no joy, all give disk read errors is there any way i can test the chip ?? the wii plays my original Zelda ok so im guessing its a chip problem ?

Any advice would be greatly received

Scouse

2. NDarkness

NDarkness Regular member

Yep it's your chip. Can you take a picture of the install?

3. Kafluke

Kafluke Active member

why would you choose wiikit instead of any of the more widely used and recommended chips like wiid, wiikey, wiinja deluxe, or cyclowiz?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  4. Dafluke24

Dafluke24 Member

Can you load up the 1.2 set up disc? Do you see the gamecube icon? If so, then the chip is installed correctly. This was what I heard from other forums. Please correct me if my info is wrong. I had a similar problem when I installed my wiikit 2 weeks ago. I was on 3.0U firmware and needed to edit the headers in the 1.2 setup disc with a hex editor to load GCOS.

Then I had to go to walmart and get a GC controller lol

Mind you, I'm a noob when it comes to all of this, but that's how I resolved my problem with the wiikit.

And I got the wiikit because it was cheap and has less wires to solder (yes I'm very lazy lol)

Hope that helps you. Good luck.

also are you trying to back up the Zelda game yourself or are you downloading a copy from somewhere? That could be part of the reason too since there are only 4 models that can actually dump Wii games.

5. 5couse

5couse Member

Hi thankyou for your quick replies.

The wii willnot run any disk other than originals, ive tried burning at every speed i can and every brand i can find with no success at all :( this is including the 1.2 setup disk.

The wiikit was recommended as an easy install which it was i did consider all the other chips and have read varying degrees of success with these chips, so thought id go with the wiikit and if i had problems that i couldnt sort out i would buy the wiikey or similar.

I cant really take a picture of the install as my camera is basically crap, every picture i tried to take has very little detail, all i can say is that i have multimetered the connections from the legs on the dvd drive chip to the legs on the wiikit chip and have continuity.

I have a feeling i will be returning the chip and replacing/purchasing a replacement.

scouse

6. 5couse

5couse Member

I think i can give the return of the chip a miss, i purchased it from mrmodchip store and it looks like the poor guys been shutdown.

7. Dafluke24

Dafluke24 Member

that sucks. Well what you could do now is cut the plug end of the wiikit connector and solder those 6 wires to a real Wiikey. Basically you'll have a long wire install which would be the easiest way to approach it since you already soldered onto the drive board.

good luck

8. GaMEChld

GaMEChld Member

Just installed the Wiikit today. All went well, though I was scared of screwing up my wii as they are hard to get. I had to go through the hex editing GCOS work around since my Wii was updated to 3.0. If anyone needs help with booting the 1.2 Setup I'll be glad to help out.

I've successfully loaded a backup of Rockstar's Table Tennis on a Memorex DVD-R burned with Nero 7 at 6x. Has anyone gotten Wiikey or Wiikit to read a DVD+RW? Wiikit is supposedly able to read those but its not working for me. If its possible to read a DVD+RW that'd be a lot more convenient for me, wouldn't have to stuff my game case(s) with dvd-r's. Thanks!

9. GaMEChld

GaMEChld Member

10. 5couse

5couse Member

Hmm been over a week now and still no reply to my emails or support ticket, fortunately i got another one from elsewhere and it works perfectly so far.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Scouse

11. GaMEChld

GaMEChld Member

Now I've run into a problem. I've got a wiikit, which was working just fine. I just updated to 1.9b. Update went fine, no problems. After that I couldn't get into the 1.3 config disc, so I booted a 1.3 GCOS which worked fine. Enabled region free and all. Then I tried the regular 1.3 disc again just to see if it would work with the region settings set up correctly. It showed up as a Gamecube game but then when I hit start, the Wii just resets. I figured it might work if I lowered the drive speed to 3X, but now it won't even read GCOS discs. The 1.3 standard disc still shows up as gamecube and makes the wii reset (same with 1.1 which I tried just to see). So basically, I'm stuck unable to enter into Wiikey config.

So that's where I'm stuck at now, can't get into GCOS, config discs show up but then reset the system on launch. Anyone know of a way to reset the settings manually? Read about some ppl fixing some strange problems with a wii format, so I'm gonna backup my stuff and give that a try. If anyone has an idea lemme know. Thanks all! May just get an authentic Wiikey since prices have dropped since D2CKey came out.

12. 5couse

5couse Member

Clueless m8 but ill try and find out what you can do, ive just upgraded the chip to 1.9g with no problems.

Scouse