1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wiid dead?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by tomm2cool, Oct 29, 2007.

1. tomm2cool

tomm2cool Member

Is the Wiid pretty much considered dead since they dont update their site anymore? With the new disc protection being implemented, the Wiid is pretty much useless without any updates. :(

2. DavGerm4

DavGerm4 Active member

I had a WiiD, and liked it, but I haven't heard much from them anymore! You might as well go with Cyclowiz or WiiKey now.

3. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Wiikey has till Friday to get the update out if they Don't then its a Cyclowiz for me. That frickin WiiD is coming out of my system.

I have never had crappier support on a product then I have had with WiiD. It was a good chip but with the new copy protection coming out I would rather have a team that keeps users updated.

Even tho Wiikey and Cyclowiz has showed slow update releases in the past at least they have had them plus keep you posted.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  4. tomm2cool

tomm2cool Member

So Im assuming you emailed them like everyone else huh? Its funny cuz its almost like other sites were in on it knowing they would rip us off. I remember a few site reviews claiming that the WiiD's customer support was so good at getting back to you so quickly and Ive sent them emails in the past 4 months with no response whatsoever. Even Tehskeen.com removed the WiiD's supposed "ISO-420" review from their site. WTF?

The Cyclowiz has already convinced me they are the way to go, even if if the WiiD ends up coming out with an update in the future, which seems pretty unlikely since they havent updated their site since April of 07.

5. nillan

nillan Member

Wouldnt mind an answer on this. Am sure one of the moderators on this forum had WiiD in his signature - havent seen that in a while.

basically; why has WiiD gone silent - u can still find excellent reviews for it on the web btw

6. larrylje

larrylje Active member

How are any of us supposed to answer this?

We go to the same support page as you do.

We can e-mail the same support address as you.

So we get the same answer as you do.

NOTHING!

I suggest getting a Wiikey or Cyclowiz and tell anyone and everyone when asking what chip to get to stay away from WiiD. I actually went through all the post I have ever made recommending the WiiD and have edited them saying to buy a Wiikey or Cyclowiz.

7. nillan

nillan Member

Thanks for the response larrylje

With fitting a CycloWiz - is it just the same solder points on the drive as the WiiD? i.e. is it as simple as unsoldering the wires from the WiiD and soldering them to the CycloWiz?

8. larrylje

larrylje Active member

The 5 existing points are the same for both Cyclowiz/Wiikey and yes it's as simple as de-soldering the wires from the WiiD and re-soldering them to the Cyclowiz/Wiikey.

But you will need to solder 2 more wires to the Drive Board for the update on/off switch when installing a Cyclowiz. You have a wire going from the Drive Board to the switch. Then a wire from the switch to the Cyclowiz then a wire from the Cyclowiz to the Drive Board again. So all together you have an extra 3 wires to install with the Cyclowiz Modchip if you want to use the update feature (Which you will need for SMG).

Cyclowiz Diagram:

[​IMG]

If you went with a Wiikey then you have 1 extra wire that goes from the Wiikey to the Drive Board.

So the Wiikey is the best bet if you want to do as little soldering as possible.

Wiikey Diagram:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  9. DavGerm4

DavGerm4 Active member

I think I'm gonna go with the Cyclowiz! I remember when the WiiD came out, and htought it would be awesome! I think you would agree larrylje that it was a little hype when it came out! In fact you recommended that one! I liked it too, but like you said, the Support was Terrible!!!

10. larrylje

larrylje Active member

My Wiikey is on the way.

First off it is cheaper then the Cyclowiz.

You have less instillation wires to install.

You don't need to turn a switch off and on when doing the update (I have also read some users of Cyclonwiz having issues when the upgrade switch accidentally gets turned on and the firmware somehow became corrupt).

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  11. tomm2cool

tomm2cool Member

Take this with a grain of salt people, but supposedly the guy that runs the French site xavboxwii.com, has been keeping constant communication with the WiiD makers (aka Team FT who are known as a "great team") and says that the WiiD update will be "fine".

If you know French, or wanna use Google translator or something, check out this forum:

http://www.xavboxforum.com/index.php?showtopic=26536

Credit goes to bibi66 for the info.

12. samus250

samus250 Member

uh-oh. I got the WiiD too. I was thinking of getting an even cheaper, open source modchip like the YAOSM, Wiifree or OpenWii. Neither of them have updated their code to work for this new copy protection, but since it is open source, I'm sure it will be available soon enough. If it is not available, heck, I'll play with the code myself :)

The WiiD was a great modchip. Too bad it just died.

13. NinjaB

NinjaB Guest

As far as I know the Wiikey installation change you have here is wrong. I tried to install it based on your diagram and I believe the Wiid ground wire is either changed to where the VCC would be on the Wiikey or the ground (I assume it would be VCC but dont know since Wiikey dont list it on their PCB)

Check out http://www.fanfoldrc.com/photos/index.php?album=/misc/Wii/&image=P1010023.JPG

and http://www.wiidmod.com/images/DiagWiresC.jpg

I will be making the change soon to see if what I say is right, and according to the diagrams I am.

14. Menion

Menion Regular member

Wow, never thought I'd see the day when Larry put down his wiid and crossed over to the WiiKey side after all those posts from the past ;) It's about time you got your head straight larry lol

15. larrylje

larrylje Active member

The WiiD Website that has both the Wire and Quick Solder diagrams has the GROUND listed different.

Look at the Quicksolder Diagram. It has the ground wire shown as I have in the above image (To the left of the VCC).

The Wire install Diagram on their site has moved the ground to the alternate spot (right of the VCC).

[​IMG]

Either spot will work perfectly fine for the ground wire.

Just make sure you have Spot 1 Ground and Spot 2 VCC connected correctly on the Wiikey.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007