1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wiikey +cant read error

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by blacskta, Dec 10, 2007.

1. blacskta

blacskta Member

I had my wiikey installed by a fairly experienced friend who has modded several consoles in the past so i think there shouldn't be any problems . Problem is I can't get wii to read udpate or settings disk. I have tried dvd+r, dvd-rw and dvd-r all differend brand and the -r was fairly expensive, maxell. the disks were burned with imgburner at 2X. I haven't tried any copied games as I can't see why it would read any other disks. My wii firmware is 2.1E does this matter?

2. maz057

maz057 Member

I am having the same problem Useing a mac. Ive tried Disk utility, Toast and a basic drag anddrop into the folder the cd creats on the desk top. All with Three different types of media, All dvd-r, Fujifilm, Verbatim and Memorex. None have worked for me.

3. Thinone

Thinone Regular member

i use maxell discs burnt at 4x with imgburn no problem whatsoever

either
    1) your chip is faulty or installed incorrectly
    2) the image of the config disc is duff or your burner is faulty

you could try burning the image on another burner to rule that one out or try updating the firmware of your burner to the latest

your firmware being at 2.1 does not matter in this case in fact its good as you will be able to update your wiikey to 1.9b then 1.9g and run the 1.3 config disc without needing a hacked update wiikey disc or gcos. Once it is updated i recommend updating through internet to 3.1 before playing any copied games else you run the risk of a bricked wii

my money is on the chip install, however experienced they can be tricky buggers

4. blacskta

blacskta Member

thank you for your answer. I will try some other burner first and if this won't help I guess wii just needs to be opened and checked if someone could maybe check the modchips connections. and finally I can always buy another wiikey and try with it.

5. maz057

maz057 Member

I dont know how to use the imgburn padding tool to make the file large enough. What command make the files large enough to be read by the wii?

6. Thinone

Thinone Regular member

i just loaded the image as it was and burnt it - worked fine for me didnt need to pad it

7. blacskta

blacskta Member

tried with another burner and still not working tried even a backup of a game but no diffenrence can't read. So wiikey is either faulty, broken at delivery or the soldering is bad? it is bought from a legit reseller.

8. maz057

maz057 Member

Man I dont know how everyone else is solving this but I cant get 1.2 or 1.3 to give anything but a big error message. Anybody want to explain what is going on I know the wiikey works I shows a a gamecube disk, the update 1.9b and 1.9g both worked.

9. brido84

brido84 Regular member