1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wiikey compatibilility and updates?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by boekai, Feb 19, 2008.

1. boekai

boekai Member

i don't have a dvd burner on my PC but have one on my Mac so i have unpacked the config 1.2 after downloading and created an ISO,
    transported it to my mac via flash drive and burned it with the standard mac burning utility

is there any reason why the ISO wouldn't be burning to the DVD properly?
    it shows up as an ISO on the DVD after burning and it is the right region version, it just isn't recognised at all by my wii

i got my chip installed, is there a possibility he mucked up?

2. boekai

boekai Member

oh yeah, this is in regards to the wiikey

3. Jonnynott

Jonnynott Member

I have burned these discs on a mac and have had no problems reading them on the Wii.

Is your machine playing back ups ok?

4. Kafluke

Kafluke Active member

This might sound like a stupid question but are you burning the iso as an image or are you burning the iso directly onto the disc as data? There's a huge difference. Many times people on here ask this question and it turns out that they are burning the iso directly onto the disc as data rather than burning the disc using the iso as an image.

5. boekai

boekai Member

jonnynott- i've not played any backups yet 'cos i was hoping to back them up with the dvd dump, i'm not sure how else to find them?

kafluke- i'm pretty sure you're on the money- i've just been adding them to the burn folder and doing the usual so there is a good chance this is the case-

can i do this on my mac with the normal utility? (if so, how?) or do i need to use a specific program (and is there free ware of it for mac?)

thanks heaps for replying, i've no doubt these are very basic questions

6. jnaks

jnaks Regular member

use Disk Utility. It's under Applications/Utilities. Drag the ISO file into the listing and it will burn the ISO. Once it's done, your disc should be good to go. That's your issue.

7. boekai

boekai Member

i've burned the disk using the disk utility and put it in the wii
    it's recognised as a gamecube disk but when i click on it this message appears on a black screen:

An error has occurred.
    Press the Eject Button,remove the
    Game Disc, and turn the power off.
    Please read the Wii operations manual
    for more information.

the disk is called CDROM but i'm pretty sure my mac recognises it as a DVD (the image associated with the file is a DVD-r)

8. boekai

boekai Member

my wii firmware is 3.0E and i've been using config 1.2,
    i'm thinking maybe i need to be using config 1.3?

i tried to burn the iso like with 1.2 but it seems to be a completely different process and i'm a bit stumped

9. boekai

boekai Member

ok,
    i got it working using config 1.2b (?!) which i stumbled upon in another forum-

i also had ISO's being recognised as winrar files on my PC which i think lead to most of the confusion

a couple more questions:

1). is it possible to put snes roms on the boot disc as with config 1.2? as the image is already organised in 1.3 i'm not sure how to incorporate these files into the final burn.

2). is there a way to find out what my wiikey firmware is? i'm figuring i may as well update it if i can- also if anybody has the file to download for the update it'd be much appreciated.

3). if i am running:

wii firmware 3.0E,
    wiikey 1.9 firmware and using
    config disk 1.3

will this make me as up to date as possible at this moment in time?
    will i be able to play SMG and new Smash Bros.?