1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wiikey dvdDump

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by sam1dog, Apr 9, 2007.

1. sam1dog

sam1dog Regular member

Anyone have any experience with the new wiikey dvddump?
    I wondering since most games are 4.7gb and no non sdhc cards are capable of past 4 gb. How can you dump a game? thx

2. thebeetle

thebeetle Member

Hi,

Download the image from the web site. The read me files will tell you everything. Looks like a game image can be offloaded in chunks. So you don't need a 5Gb SD card.

What I want to know is about the Game Cube SD adapter. It appears that you need this to dump the games or am i getting this wrong!?

3. sam1dog

sam1dog Regular member

Thanks for the reply. I read the NFO and saw that it was chunks. UMM I wonder if anyone has a chance to try it yet?

I'm not quite sure about the SD adapter. I was wondering that as well.

4. thebeetle

thebeetle Member

Well I just had my chip delivered and am about to open up my Wii. so I'll try it and let you know. Thats unless the adapter is a show stopper.

5. sam1dog

sam1dog Regular member

thanks beetle, please keep us updated. Thanks

6. thebeetle

thebeetle Member

Right first attempt to open wii has failed. The small + type screws are tiny so I'll have to get a new screwdriver tomorrow.

P.S. On a plus side I have managed to lengthen the cable to my sensor bar using some cat 5 cable, some solder and insulating tape :eek:) The run from my TV to amp must be about 8m and it works with no probs.

7. thebeetle

thebeetle Member

Right I have success in opening the wii and started to solder. Followed some instructions online but when soldering the small points it appeared as if the solder on the board had lifted of the surface!!! Arg. It did however appear to still be attached to the board so I assume a connection is still being made. No multimeter to hand so cant check. What do you think? Is it F%^@ed?

The wii still starts up but after burning the bootable image it doesnt seem to recognis the disk. I assume the disk will load by selecting it from the menu or does it do it when the machine starts up?

8. thebeetle

thebeetle Member

testing so far. Gamecube game worked fine. Wii sports doesnt work any more :eek:( gamecube backup doesnt work :eek:(

Any advice people?

9. j314

j314 Member

had that happen to me too. It means it's not soldered right. Try again, I'd recommend using wires instead of the quicksolder method. My experience:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/471264#3008515
    Take everything off and clean it. Get a desoldering bulb to suck up the extra solder. Get some flux paste. Use a toothpick and put a tiny amount on each point. Then put some solder on the tip of the soldering iron and tap each point with the iron a couple times to rebuild the pads with solder before trying again. Makes things easier.

10. thebeetle

thebeetle Member

You were right one of the connections was bad and in my efforts to remove one of the sections I removed two of the pads!! Is it possible to build them up from nothing? I have removed the chip to use wires this time. I agree that the quick solder is a mistake. This would have taken me 10 min if I had used wires. Fingers crossed I havent broken it!! :eek:)

11. j314

j314 Member

like I said try a tiny bit of flux on the points on the board, and put some solder on the tip of your iron. Tap the points and hopefully the solder will transfer and rebuild the pads.
    If that doesn't work search this board for alternate soldering points, people have talked about the ic legs but I haven't tried it...

12. thebeetle

thebeetle Member

All fixed. I managed to solder to three of the legs of the chip. Boy those things are small. Two of them were next to each other and it's taken me 4 attempts to get it right.

So at last I have a working mod chip. I've managed to test the boot disk and one of my game cube backups but yet to get a wii backup working (only tried one so far).

Now its back to the original thread. I'm off to try the DVDDump but looks like I need a GC SD card reader.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007