1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WiiKey Error! Please help!

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by Dr_Roc, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Dr_Roc

Dr_Roc Guest

Hi all. I have tried to mod two PAL Wii's with WiiKeys. One Wii was Ver.3.1E the other Ver.3.0E. Both Wii's read the 1.2 & 1.3 setup discs as GC games, but when I tried booting them I got the following error message:

An error has occurred.
    Press the Eject Button, Remove the
    Game Disc, and turn the power off.
    Please read the Wii operations manual
    for more information.

I have also tried the WiiFree config Disc, but get the same message. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

2. Thinone

Thinone Regular member

have u tried using different brands of discs?

do u know if ur discs work ok?

3. Dr_Roc

Dr_Roc Guest

Hi, Discs are Verbatim. Im Reading in the forums that I need a GCOS boot disk to allow me to run my 1.3 config disc. Will try it out.

4. Dumbpoopy

Dumbpoopy Regular member

I had the same problem, when i updated my wii to 3.1 it wouldnt read any wiikey config disc, whcih doesnt really effect me, im still playing all backups included super mario galaxy. I dont really catch the reason for the config disc

5. Dr_Roc

Dr_Roc Guest

Crap you know! I've freaking tried every way to make a freaking GCOS boot disc. No joy with MultiGame ISO Creator or make-multi-srcv3! Burnt them with Nero and ImgBurn. Can someone please point me into the correct direction.

6. alguemleg

alguemleg Member

I had the same problem. In my case, the wiikey wasn't properly upgraded/configured because I had only 5 wires soldered.

1) Check if you have all 6 wires soldered, as in here - it should solve your problem.
    2) Otherwise, you can always reflash your wiikey - instructions here

7. Menion

Menion Regular member

first off, being they are both 3.0 and higher throw the 1.2 disc away, and secondly remember they made it so the boot discs wouldn't work so they made the update? Update the systems with the 1.9b update disc now your 1.3 boot will work

8. superrub

superrub Member

Okay...Same thing happened to me in my US console.However, It was not totally hopeless. Here is my story. I updated my Wiikey modded Wii from 2.2U TO 3.1U, and wanted to update my Wiikey firmware from 1.2 to 1.9g. I was successfully update my Wii from 2.2U to 3.0U thru Wi-Fi. Then, I had trouble to update the firmware, but after I burned a couple of update disc, I successfully updated it. Then, I tried to use the config disc to open region free option. It came out the smae message, saying that an error occured. I thought I ruined my Wii (really wanted to cry). However, I found out that someone had the same problem and solved it already. What you have to do is to download this 1.2b config disc:
    It is not exactly the same to the one that you download from wiikey.cn.
    Ok, now, you may be able to jump into 1.2config screen. Open the region free option, and then use 1.3 config disc. See you may be able to config disc now.

9. benneb12

benneb12 Member

Hi did you ever end up working out your problem because I am experiencing the same thing and have trawled through forums and tried everything with no result appriceate any help cheers

10. polemouse

polemouse Member

i am trying it now, hopefully this will work

11. Austin317

Austin317 Member

Has anyone got an answer for this? I got exact same issues, but my m8 who does alot of chipping tells me that for him its usually the media is at fault. Therefore, I have ordered Verbatin DVD-R in the hope that it will do the job.

12. Oxadillia

Oxadillia Guest

Are you absolutely sure that your Wiikey is genuine?

All genuine models should be shipped with the latest stable firmware. If it may well be fake, you should try a google search on how to configure them properly. That may shed some light on the situation.

If you know it isn't fake, then the only option I can suggest is throw everything at it. Wii backups, originals, GC backups and originals, setup discs...etc.

If you find some work and others don't, it may be typical to some bug or human error, and someone may be able to help you from there.

13. Austin317

Austin317 Member

Yeah my wiikey is genuine, it came with the shiny little sticker - and bought from official reseller.

Original Wii games working fine, but backups that i have don't.

What's strange is that when you turn the wii on, the normal boot screen comes up (just before you press A), but there is a white bar at the bottom. Never noticed it before, maybe always been there. Has anyone seen this???

Austin317

14. Oxadillia

Oxadillia Guest

Interestingly enough, the same happened with mine. Originals played fine but backups didn't. I think it was due to an installation error though. Who installed the chip? It may be burnt out or have a loose connection or something, which could be causing the problem.

15. Austin317

Austin317 Member

I installed the chip today, everything looks soldered good - but i could be wrong.
    What was your fix in the end?? New chip or resolder??

16. Oxadillia

Oxadillia Guest

Mine was a new chip, with a wired install. I am fairly sure that it didn't go quite according to plan, so I was just saying it incase. If there is no problems with it, then I am completely stumped. I suggest that you take it to the Wiikey team or the suppliers of the chip and ask for a new one. The only thing I can think of is that it was made faulty.

Hope you sort it out soon!

17. Dr_Roc

Dr_Roc Guest

Hey all! It turned out to be a batch of fake WiiKey's with hologram stickers! Had to build a boot disc to boot the config 1.3 disc.

18. polyd8

polyd8 Member

Yo Dr. Rock, can you still run backups using the boot that you created despite it being a fake wiikey? also, how can you tell if the wiikey is fake?

19. Dr_Roc

Dr_Roc Guest

Backups & imports play perfectly. Difficult to tell fakes from originals, they look identical come with hologram stickers and work perfectly! The only way to tell I recon is that the clones don't boot the setup 1.3b disc on Wii dashboards 3.0 or higher. This is why you need to build a boot disc to boot the 1.3b setup.

20. polyd8

polyd8 Member

Okok, thanks doc. i downloaded a GCOS 1.3 and it worked fine, same with the original setupdisk 1.2. all i did woas unlock the reion override and 1.3 worked ok. im just waiting now for SMG (pal so it matches my wii reigon) but i have another question, when i put in my disk it makes a ork of clicking noise and also when i run the setup again, it seems that the setting didnt save. any clues for help?

btw, very good forum, a lot of tips and quick help responce. THANKS!