1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wiikey install fail?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by Galonvan, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Galonvan

Galonvan Member

I just installed the WiiKey, and after doing so, and powering up my system, all features seem to work with the exeption of actually using the console for games. Non-burned games no longer work. I haven't tried making any backups yet, but I'm trying to find out why I'm having this problem. I get the error:

Unable to read the disc

Does that mean I have a failed solder point? I used a magnifying glass and didn't see any problems with the solder points. Do I need to run some system disc first?

2. NDarkness

NDarkness Regular member

Can you post a picture of your install?

3. Galonvan

Galonvan Member

I figured out what was up. My solder job was clean (which I re-soldered, and then removed, and same problem both times). Apparently, I didn't notice, but a little piece of solder splashed off the tip of my iron and landed across 3 traces of one of the controller chips. It was a very small splash, but was just hot enough to join with the pins. After careful work with a razor blade and a magnifying glass, I successfully removed the excess solder/seperated the contacts, and all is working fine.

I've since, re-soldered the mod chip and it too appears to be working fine (at least it worked with the setup disc, and it also played a factory made game). I'll have to make a backup and test that feature sometime soon.

Thanks for the time all =)