1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wiikey install problems, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by npb_2k7, Aug 31, 2007.

1. npb_2k7

npb_2k7 Member

ok. newish to this. read up lots of sites about it. learnt how to install the wiikey, burn set up disk etc.

however...

i tried installing the wiikey. I used the short wire method to make it nice and neat. when i was just finishing the last soldering point on the wii - the middle one of the 4 little solder points came away from the board from the heat of my iron. meaning i had to remove the wiikey resolder the point on the board n put the wiikey back. but when i've removed the wiikey and wires - 3 of the solder points on the board have come away completely. so now instead of this:

•••

it now looks like this:

•--
    -

in other words theres no where to solder 3 of the wires now to the right places. any suggestions or should i give up and wait to see if i can find a new dvd drive? luckily its not stopped the wii from working.

2. dazone

dazone Member

Follow it to the chip and solder it there..

good luck

3. allaw

allaw Member

Do you have the missing leg type chip? how did you bridge the connection, straight wire or bent? anything would help.

4. npb_2k7

npb_2k7 Member

unsure by what you mean missing leg type chip?

got the latest genuine wiikey.

i used short straight wires between the wiikey and the board. so when i placed the wiikey on the board it was simply a case of bending the wires to the soldering points on the chip and soldering them. but as i were finishing off the final piece of the puzzle, one of the wires came away from the circuit board and i had to remove the chip before i could resolder it. trouble was as i removed the chip it took with it three solder points of the circuit board.

now im stuck really as i have only 3 points to solder the chip to on the board.

5. Menion

Menion Regular member

If you have the D2B chip its best not to mess with it unless you have the right equipment to do so but allot of people are soldering directly to the stub of the little Ic chip or grinding the chip down to the leads on the side and soldering that way - Good luck! I recently had 2 D2B consoles modified through Mash-mods.com excellent guy got it taken care of quickly and shipped back quickly with no probs whatsoever!