1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wiikey install

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by Nate_S04, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Nate_S04

Nate_S04 Member

Just installed my wiikey today and i put it all back together n booted up to test it out. the wii turns on fine, plays original discs fine, but will not play burned discs. it says the disc is not readable. i burned it onto a dvd-r disc @ 4x like the site recommended and it doesnt work. any ideas why its not working?

when i was installing the wiikey the solder spots on my board were different than the spots in the picture...in the picture on the bottom side there are 3 squares going across

_ _ _
    |_| |_| |_|

on my board there are only 2 with one above the second pad
    _
    |_|
    _ _
    |_| |_|

so i couldnt solder anything to the 3rd pad because...i dont have it? could this be why it isnt working

2. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Yes you need to install that #3 spot. Do you think they would add that to the instillation guide if it wasn't needed?

On some Wii drives the #3 spot was taking off the board due to Nintendo's attempt to stop modding. There is an alternate spot on the drive chip leg itself you can solder the wire to then connect it to the #3 spot on the Wiikey. Go HERE and take a look at alternate spots for Wiikey connections (use the pink alternate spot for #3).

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  3. spyman

spyman Regular member

sounds like you might also be missing the legs, take a look at the IC and see that all legs are there and the 3 arent missing.