1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wiikey Installation?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by jason8983, Feb 21, 2007.

1. jason8983

jason8983 Member

Does anyone know if the wiikey is gonna be installed on the same spot as the Cyclowiz... I ask because I botched up my installation of that and melted the "contacts" when I uninstalled it so now there just empty spots so i dont think i can put a chip on those points anymore. At least my wii still works but now i have a chip i cant install unless i buy a new wii.

2. tabletpc

tabletpc Guest

my question is even if the contacts are a little chared is the metal surface under the solder still there is so you can still solder if not then it is time for a new wii

3. jason8983

jason8983 Member

No I'm pretty sure theirs nothing there anymore. This was my first attempt ever soldering and It was just to tiny with the abc connections. And i had to "Desolder" it off like 3 times because i f###ed up. Now theirs nothing left and right now im just lucky that My wii is working. Now that I have tried it though im fairly confident I can do it right with another try. But I cant on this Wii, so i just gotta hope another mod chip comes out with different connections.

Anyone wanna buy a cyclowiz for 20 bucks? lol.

4. jason8983

jason8983 Member

And if you have never soldered before dont make the same mistake I did. Get someone else to do it!

5. FrostyBK

FrostyBK Member

Same thing happened to me :(
    This was not my first time soldering though, I did my matrix infinity on my ps2 with no problems.
    It was the quick solder the borked my install, so I whipped off the chip and did a wired install, so much simpler, however the damage had already been done to one of the contacts :(

If only I’d done the "simpler" wired install first

6. TheV

TheV Regular member

7. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

I order a wiikey. would it be a dood idea to wait a little before installing it to see if it functions right without damaging my wii? or since it is the 3rd chip out and seems to be basiclt the same as the other 2 wich seem to be working well, is it safe to just install it?

8. raysuave

raysuave Regular member

When I get my Wiikey, this is exactly the reason I will be using wires. That direct solder crap gave me a bad feeling as soon as I understood what was meant by it. With that direct solder, you open up a whole other can of worms as far as things that can go wrong, especially if you have to remove/adjust the chip afterwards.

9. FrostyBK

FrostyBK Member

All sorted for me now, i just traced the bad contact back to the chip and solderd to the leg it was connected too. The leg is about half the size of the smallest contact though so be carefull not to bridge 2 two of them together if you try.

I used electrical tape to isolate the extact pin i wanted, made it easier to see what i was doing. Now lets hope the update for the cyclowiz comes out and works.

10. bigguy12

bigguy12 Member

does anyone know what im supposed to do with the wiikey after it sodered in with wires, IE do i need to wrap it in electrical tape? is going to get to hot once i close the case back up around it? ive never installed a modchip before so im a little hesistant

11. RAIDRMN

RAIDRMN Member

I installed mine today went with the wire install tape it down with paper tape saw it on a website my Wii turns on but wont read the backups I tried the setup disc and all I got was a message that it can't read the disc I'm not sure if you have to do the setup disc I only want to play backups no imports anyways I'm going to open the Wii again tommorow just to make sure none of the solder points broke off let you guys know how it went

12. yobuttin

yobuttin Member

I've read on other sites that after people have got done soldering the wires, they used a hot glue gun to secure the chip so it never moves. Has anyone tried this yet?

13. nsx88

nsx88 Member

hot glue is the way to go, it peels off easily when you need to remove it too.

here's a tip for those that messed up the solder pads. you can either trace the contact point to the legs of the chip, or...

scrap off the plastic film covering the wiring on the pcb prior to the broken contact point, then solder a wire to that you should be in good shape. I prefer to do this than to solder directly on the chip because it's very easy to bridge the connection between the legs of the firmware chip.

14. hapyfnbal

hapyfnbal Member

I'd just like to confirm for anybody that reads this thread that soldering the wiiKey is not easy! The contact points are so tiny and it really is difficult. Luckily mine works fine, but if I had to do it all over again I would have definitely paid somebody to do it. It took me hours, put a crick in my neck and I wasn't feeling to confident when I put it all together.

15. Trypsta

Trypsta Member

so if the contact points on the wii are burn out then the only way to ever install the modchip is to get a new wii?

16. leosdesk

leosdesk Member

Same thing happen to me. I did my Boss's and my co-workers Cyclowiz. Great install. Quick Solder method.

LOL Yeah FInally bought a Wii for me and got the WiiKey. Did the quicksolder method but was having a hard tiem with a point. Took the solder right off of it. Tried to drip some solder on it but wouldnt stick. Was thinking about getting the curcuit pen from Radio Shack but didnt. Put the Wii back together and made sure the Org game still worked. Sold on Ebay for profit that covered the Wiikey and then some. Stood inline at Nintendo world for a new one. Followed these instructions instead and worked great.

http://www.ps2-scene.org/m37r01d/Wiikey review.html

Doing another co-workers later today. Will have pics too.

17. leosdesk

leosdesk Member

Adding on....

Yes its a buit difficult for the WiiKey then the rest because its 4 rather then 3 wires. Take your 15 watt iron and file a sharper point to it. Then make sure you are using flux. It will make it so much easier. Add soem solder to the points on the board and on the chip.

Next take your Kanar wire and cut 6 into abotu 3-4 inch strips. Dip in flux and attach to the board. take teh Chip. Lay it down in position. Bend the wires over the solder you added on the chip. Take yoru iron and solder and solder them down. MAKE sure you have 15 wats or lower. You dont want to get this far and heat the wire too hot to melt the solder on the Wii and you will loose yoru connection.

18. Raston

Raston Member

Hey everyone - Let me first say thank you to everyone who's posted. The tips and tricks herein helped me install my WiiKey. I took pictures and documented my installation and people may find it useful - please check http://www.death-zone.org - projects - hacking the wii section. Corrections are welcome!

19. trauvan

trauvan Member

My solder gun must have been too hot. It melted all the contact
    points on the dvd drive board. Are there other contact points
    on the board I can use to solder to the WiiKey?

20. FrostyBK

FrostyBK Member

Only to the pins of the chipitself, if you trace back the lines on the circuit board.

These points are very very thin and close together, bridging them with solder can stop your wii from working untill the solder is removed.

depends how confident you are, it's quite tough, and you have to be very accurate.