1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wiikey issues

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by Lordxx, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Lordxx

Lordxx Member

Alright, I had my wiikey installed professionally, I bought my wii around 2 months after the initial release so I figure that can't be the problem. I popped in a burned copy of Metroid Prime 3, it recognizes it and makes me install an update to the latest firmware for the wii. Well once that was over I start metroid prime 3 start a new game and all that, then I get to the part where I play and it says cannot read game disc. So I eject, power off, rinse and repeat multiple times until it works. I play up until the norion chapter, turn off the console and go to bed. I woke up tried to play had to repeat the whole process over, and got to play again, then it seems that I lost and had to start over, well guess what, "The Game Disc could not be read. Please read the Wii operations manual for more information." It seems that it only works randomly, setup disc doesn't read and I am using Imgburn with verbatim dvd-r 8x. I am utterly confused at what to do and would like some help from the wise. Anyone think they spotted my problem? I think its the dvd drive speed of the wii but without being able to run the wiikey config disc I can't do anything about it. Help?

2. DavGerm4

DavGerm4 Active member

The Wii's are really picky with the kinds of Discs that you use! I thought the mine (TDK DVD+R's) worked great, but it would always at one point say that the system cannot read disc! I haven't found any that like my Wii, so I gave up on the Modding for now...

3. adambar

adambar Regular member

First off, what speed are you burning your discs at? What program are you using to burn the discs? Have you tried burning a new copy of Metroid Prime 3? Have you tried any other games besides Metroid Prime 3? I feel I can offer some insight as I just installed my first Wiikey and had a number of problems which I worked out through troubleshooting/others' experiences posted on here. Another thing to consider is what region the disc is and what region your console is. If you are using an NTSC console with a PAL Metroid Prime, the update *could* semi-brick your Wii. I'm not sure what DavGerm4 is talking about because I use Memorex (Ritek) DVD-'s and they are thought to be the "worst media you can use" and I have yet to have a problem with any of my burned games.

Oh. One more thing, I've read the config disc may not work unless you use the 1.2 version first and turn off region protection, then you can use 1.3.

4. Lordxx

Lordxx Member

Actually figured it out, for some odd reason using Imgburn at 2x speed wouldn't work, but when I used Nero 7's Burning Rom > Burn Image tool at 2x speed it worked. So hope my problem helps anyone.