1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WiiKey or D2CKey?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by Vergil902, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Vergil902

Vergil902 Member

Im in the market for a new, premodded wii and have the option to buy it with the wiikey or d2ckey. Which should I choose?

2. NDarkness

NDarkness Regular member

Wiikey. D2CKey is not upgradeable.

3. Vergil902

Vergil902 Member

really,ive heard that the d2ckey is all around better and doesn't need to be upgraded. Oh well, thanks!

4. MattGM

MattGM Member

D2Ckey requires no hassle to upgrade, a lot easier overall without the worry about what firmware to install before what update and bad flashes or fake chips.

Just keep it simple, other than the install.

5. kolbaszos

kolbaszos Guest

In my opinion, D2Ckey.

My own experience:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/598339

if you dont want to follow the link: :)

My personal experience within one week with the two versions:

-The first console was wiikey or winja, have no idea which one.
    -Shipped with an old FW, unpacked it, and immediately refreshed to 3.1E from the internet.
    -The SMG inserted, then SMG started to do some FW upgrade
    -Unauthorized hardware detected, end of story.

-The second console with D2CKEY
    -Shipped with an old FW, unpacked it, and immediately refreshed to 3.1E from the internet.
    -Inserted SMG, SMG did not do ANY UPDATE, Just RUN.

It is interesting for me, that in both cases prior to SMG the latest FW was installed from the internet, still in the case of the old modcip, SMG started to do some update, and in the case of D2Ckey, SMG did not do anything, just RUN.

Personally me think, that D2Ckey is good.;)

6. Vergil902

Vergil902 Member

Thats exactely what im looking for, something that just works. D2Ckey it is!

7. whereswii

whereswii Member

My concern with the D2CKey is that it just works now, but if Nintendo does figure a way to block it in the future you may be out of luck. The Wiikey may be more a PITA, but at least they can update it after new games come out with new protections.

Also...if you are thinking of ordering from Digital Nerd Solutions...DON'T. You won't be getting any Wii.

8. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I remember when Wiikey first came out. Everyone claimed it couldn't be updated either till it actually needed an update. So I wouldn't bank on all those that say D2CKey can not be updated. It just hasen't needed an update at this time.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  9. jordan246

jordan246 Member

hey ...ok im wondering what i should do wiikey or D2C-key ? all i want to do is 2 play back up games? but what happends say if a game says u need to update what should i do yes or no? because if i update it then would my chip screw up?? and then the other games wont work ?? PLEASE HELP!! thanks

10. EddyC

EddyC Member

I'm not going to answer the above question since its covered plenty of times.

The d2ckey is NOT UPDATABLE THROUGH DVD so no , the wiikey team (who is responsible for the d2ckey) will not start releasing patches for it through dvd end of story.

The second gen modchips (d2ckey, argon, infectious) do not use the serial interface found on first gen modchips and thus are not upgradable using this method. They connect directly to the chips involved in the authentication process and modify their code there, with no way to consume input from the user manually (making it ultra stealth so to speak, since it cannot respond to commands).

That being said, it IS upgradable using JTAG/POGO pin programmers as there are points found on the bottom of the chip, and the actel chip used for the d2ckey's are updatable.

When we need to update, instructions will be released. can't get any more simpler than that.

11. Thinone

Thinone Regular member

12. Kafluke

Kafluke Active member

none of this really matters because you don't have a choice between D2Ckey and wiikey anyway. If you have a D2C system then you CAN'T use a wiikey and if you don't have a D2C system then the D2Ckey cannot be installed either so the point is mute

13. Joshewah

Joshewah Regular member

From the sound of his first post though it sounds like he has the choice of two different modded systems; one with a d2ckey and one with a wiikey.

14. Butt101

Butt101 Regular member

U know what would be even better, buy a wii not modded say used and older, buy a wiikey and be a true modder. Like myself the wiikey install was almost to easy i couldn't believe it. Plus you will pay alot less and if it messes up you may be able fix it considering you did it your self. The idea is to read a lot about it, heres some links -

http://www.modchipcentral.com/store/Wiikey-Modchip-Triwing-Screwdriver-Bundle-p-13.html
    http://www.ps2-scene.org/m37r01d/Wiikey review.html
    http://www.modchipstore.com/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=188

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008