1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wiikey + Paper Mario Update on NTSC Wii - Backups will not play but original discs will

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by surfnet90, Apr 28, 2007.

1. surfnet90

surfnet90 Member

I updated my NTSC Wii (with a Wiikey already installed) with the Paper Mario NTSC game update WITHOUT being connected to the internet and having updated that way. The update failed, my WII rebooted and not it will not play backups, only original discs. I then updated the Wii through the Internet which worked, but backups will still not play...
    Should I replace the chip with another Wiikey or Cyclowiz, or am I out of luck because the 512 flash ram has been altered?
    Prior to this I had no problems playing any of my backups (burnt on Ritek DVD-R at 4x. I did already try unplugging the Wii and removing the battery backup, but the problem remains....

thanks for you help....

surfnet90

2. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Did you try putting in the setup disc for the Wiikey and use the Recovery feature?

Wiikey claims it can recover from a bad flash. So figure out how to use the recovery option and see if you can recover the Wiikey.

It could be possible that some how upgrading the Wii with a game some how altered the Modchip since it is upgraded via DVD. I don't know if this is possible or not.

But it wouldn't hurt trying to figure out how to use the recovery feature.

3. surfnet90

surfnet90 Member

Unfortunately the Wii cannot read any backed up or recorded disc including the Wiikey setup disk - the error I get is "Unable to read the disc- check the Wii operations manual for help troubleshooting"
    All it will read are original Wii discs.

Surfnet90

4. Thinone

Thinone Regular member

i have replied to this thread in the other post u did

5. surfnet90

surfnet90 Member

I fixed the problem by reinitializing the Wii - by reformatting the Wii memory AND erasing the internet channel and any other channels.
    The Wiikey now works great. After reconnecting to the internet and updating to the latest firmware, I put in Paper Mario and let it update, it now works along with other Wii backups.

surfnet90