1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wiikey questions

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by Klaxx, May 4, 2007.

1. Klaxx

Klaxx Member

I was thinking about purchasing a Wiikey for my Wii. I was reading around the forum and had a couple questions. 1st off is the Wiikey a good mod chip or should i go w/ the cyclowiz or wiid? Im not trying to start a war i just want the better of the chips. I am basicaly looking to backup my games (American version) and be able to play both GC and WII games. Another question I have is that I have been reading it has "stealth mode" how in the heck do they know that? Nintendo hasnt even came out w/ any updates that detect these chips yet. Another thing is how does one make a chip stealth?

Also what tools should I use. I have a 15-30W soldering iron w/ some solder. Will that do the trick?

Here is the website I was looking at.

Is that a good place to buy them or does anyone know of a better site?

Also people are saying get the lg-8164b... this is only a DVD-ROM... when makeing a backup of a game each dvd burner reads media slightly different. I used to make backups of Secure rom4+ games and it was a bit difficult until i got my Plex Pre. So whats the deal? What burner do I need or you know that works flawlessly atm.

Thanks in advance.

2. larrylje

larrylje Active member

WiiD has no Technical Support buy a Wiikey or Cyclowiz!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  3. Klaxx

Klaxx Member

Alright the LG works for dumping the img so what would you recommend for burning
    Also what is this freeloader? I was looking at that. Is it as simple as putting in a cd into the wii b4 the backup? I know a buddy of mine got something like this for his ps2 and there was a boot cd then some slider shit he had to do that was touchy and almost impossible.

Last edited: May 4, 2007
  4. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I use a Lite-ON burner. So pretty much any burner will get the job done.

As far as I know there is no swap method that is compatible with the Wii. So freeloader will not work. You will need a Modchip.

5. Klaxx

Klaxx Member

so what is this about paper mario that i hear horror stories about

Also do u know of a good diagram for the WiiD. I am looking but i just get links on how to install the cyclowiz

I do not want to solder it directly onto the board so can i just get that wire kit and will that work well...

6. larrylje

larrylje Active member

It is due to Modchips that have region free capability's and playing an out of region game on their system without having the latest update.

Example: NTSC game disc playing on a PAL system.

If you do not have your PAL Wii system updated and put in the NTSC Super Paper Mario game (it has system update on the game disc) it will check to see what system version is on your Wii. If the system is not up to date then the game disc will update your system with the new firmware.

The hardware has region locks on them and can not be used with other region firmware this bricking the PAL system because it was updated with NTSC firmware.

To avoid this problem make sure your system is updated regularly before playing newer game titles. This will avoid the game disc updating your system with the wrong region system update.

7. larrylje

larrylje Active member

8. Klaxx

Klaxx Member

So always update my wii before playing any new game and that problems solved?

9. larrylje

larrylje Active member

10. Klaxx

Klaxx Member

As I was looking around I found out that "team modders" did something called tin the joints... why did they do that and what benifits from it?

11. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Tinning is adding solder to the contact points you will be soldering to on the motherboard.

Plus adding solder to the wires before making the soldering joint.

It is easier to make a good soldering joint when tinning both the contact points and wire.

12. Klaxx

Klaxx Member

This was on the Wiid website. Does this function actualy work for u?

Complete disable :
    ---------------------------

Wiid automatically turns itself off when an original disc is inserted.
    If for any reason you want to completely disable the chip use the following procedure.
    Note : wire D needs to be soldered for the disable procedure to work!

- Press and hold the RESET button on your wii.
    - Turn on the Wii by pressing the power button either on the Wii console or on the Wii remote while keeping the RESET button pressed.
    - Wait 3 seconds and release the RESET button.

Wiid is now completely disabled.
    Turn your Wii OFF and ON again to restore normal chip functionality.

13. larrylje

larrylje Active member

14. man_well

man_well Member

hi all i know absalutley nothing about any of this sort of stuff so be patient with me !! ive just had my wii fitted with wiikey. is there anything i have to do now to start it working ive tried backup disk's already "cant read disk" do i have to load somthing on to my wii first? if so what? and how?

" i know nothing "

15. culius

culius Regular member

Put it in to the trash can ha..ha.. opp .. just jokeing , now you have to explain more detail ,some thing like , what you did to burn the img.iso backup , how did you change the setup on wiikey... ect so some one on here can help you out.

16. grkblood

grkblood Regular member

and for the record i commend you on actually using the search feature to actually dig up this old thread. So many newbies refuse to do so.