1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wiikey soldering is not easy

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by Verile, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Verile

Verile Member

The pictures make everything look so big but, oh man, when you open that monster up...

This is what i get for believing the advertising; hardly a task for amateurs.

I can't get the solder to stick well and it always comes out in big globules, melting together into the neighboring connections. I'm assuming that's a real problem. Would getting flux help even a noobie solderer to string more compliant solder?

2. wiimii

wiimii Guest

Yes , flux can deffinately help i modded my wiikey d2b with cut legs first mod ever with wiikey, i did practise alot though ,

if you think them points are small try soldering to the tiny ic legs , i have an argon to install for a friend, but i have also practised on an old motherboard ic (very tiny),

its supprising how far a newbie can get with patience and practise. :D

Few Tips : Flux all points genorously but not too much as to flow on toother points.

you only need to dab a tiny amount of solder on the points via the iron as the contacts have plenty of solder there allready

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2008
  3. Verile

Verile Member

Well, I got it on and put the wii back together. I'm actually surprised it still works, despite my abuse. Must be made of tough stuff.

I must have did the wiikey wrong though. Oh well, nothing to do but try again until it can't take any more.

4. Verile

Verile Member

Amazing. 9 hours of effort later and it works. Of course, I bust a nut putting it back together and must've tightened too much because now the DVD won't read or eject. >_<

It's certainly not easy by any means but it was just accomplished (kind of) by a guy who didn't even know what soldering was till about a week ago. If you have any confidence at all, wiikey is the way to go.

5. Disastorm

Disastorm Guest

ya man, same with me. The wiikey was my first ever soldering, and I didn't know anything about soldering. Got my wiikey, read stuff about soldering, bought my equipment and had it all up in running in like 2 hours.

I bet the pros can do the whole thing in less than 15 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2008
  6. thor77777

thor77777 Member

My first mod took me 2-3 hours. I had previously modded couple PS2's so I had some soldering experience. Preparation actually helps ALOT like using flux (on both the wires and the board) and pre-tinning (coating the surface with a small amount of solder) the wires and the contacts on the Wii. Then all you need to do is to heat the wire for about a second or 2 with the gun and while the wire is touching the solder point and it would make a solid connection. Now it takes me about 30 minutes to do one.

7. thor77777

thor77777 Member

also get some desoldering braid. It works wonders on removing excess solder.